The Anchorage Adventurers Message Board › Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Gir

Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Girdwood way

Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 76
Potter Marsh:
Variable ice mostly decent some areas have thin snow Generally better northwest of the central parking area. No skate marks anywhere. Anchorage has no skaters? Someone from town should post a meetup .

Also there may be some amazing stuff rematerializing about sunday or monday elsewhere.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 78
Quick video from a gorgeous trip out rabbit slough on valentines day this last winter I just put together:

http://www.youtube.co...­
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 79
Hey Skaters! Ice is about 14 days away. The Valley and surrounding areas have the finest and most voluminous wild ice skating in the western hemisphere...Last year I went 1008 miles on my skates and saw a huge amount of country. Now is a great time to get prepared for skating season by getting your skates sharpened and picking up:
1. Helmet
2. Drybag for extra clothes
3. Throwbag
4. Ice Awls.
By just after the middle of the month well start to see limited ice off the knik, and by the 10th of November it really kicks off. Stay tuned!
Julie
user 5545655
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 93
Just an FYI...Cheney Lake was plowed and they were wet mopping it this morning. There is a large open area for skating/hockey and then an even bigger oval to skate than last year.
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 193
thanks for posting-always love watching your videos. Happy New Year to you. Hope I can join you skating if conditions are good late in the season.
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 197
Ok, ready to skate! Any reports of good ice yet?
Greg P.
user 13376216
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 902
Ok, ready to skate! Any reports of good ice yet?
The Middle Fork Loop Trail out of Glen Alps had some pretty good ice yesterday. Just kidding! biggrin

http://www.meetup.com...­
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 198
So sorry to hear about your injury, Aaron...that's a bummer. Hope you make a speedy recovery. I'll check out Reflection lake this weekend. Thanks for the info
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 199
Greg, guess there'll be no skiing for some time! Maybe a good time for a Kahtoola hike back to the Williwaw tarns?
Greg P.
user 13376216
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 903
Nope! Although that section was flat, most of the trails out there are rough and unpleasant to walk on. I wouldn't try it.

P.S. NWS has posted a special weather statement about very high winds later this week with blowing dust and silt that could affect skating conditions. Plus wildfire danger, given the lack of snow cover!