The Anchorage Adventurers Meetup Group Message Board › Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Gir

Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Girdwood way

Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 36
Mat su ice report
Most ice got a dusting of snow which didnt affect the skatability but just obscures the surface. Most of my last report is still accurate. Forecast is for clear and cold until saturday or sunday when it will warm up and snow and possibly ruin most of the skating. Here are a few new skating opportunities:

Matanuska
at the end of crag mountain road in sutton there is fabulous glassy ice on the mat. More or less the whole canyon is filled with perfect ice. The main channel is near the far wall of the canyon and can be identified by big blocks of broken ice and small bits of open water. The rest appeears to be freeze and flow. If you dont have a 4x4 rig you may need to walk a mile or something to get here.

Granite Creek
Gorgeous freeze and flow with some topography, mostly exceptionally smooth and beautiful id wait until the dusting of snow blows off, as it is helpful to be able to see what youre skating here. Access from glenn hwy bridge.

Moose Creek
Hike up from the highway a little ways and access near the stream gauge. I just skated a little bit of this before it got dark tonight. There appear to be stretches of very smooth ice punctuated by open channell crossings and so forth. Best done with nordic skates due to the need to walk over crossings and topography. There is maybe 25 cfs flowing here so its not alot of water but still an obstacle. Best done after the light dusting of snow is blown off or there is new freeze and flow, as it is very helpful to be able to see what youre actually skating on.

Little Su
There were a few rink sized patches of exquisite ice formed on the su just below the bridge falls and at about MP 8.9 Nice ice but not necessarily worth the drive unless youre out that way. There is about 40 cfs of water running in a small channel in the center of the stream bed.
Coyote Lake
This smalll lake near sutton off jonesville road has nice skating and the same dusting of snow as everything else.
Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 610
your skate reports are fabulous, Aaron as must be the skating.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 37
Skating Notes/Forecast

Today may be the last day for wilderskating for a while. Forecast for warm weather and lots of snow in the next week or so. Im going to be skating at sutton/Matanuska river. If you have somewhere else to skate, I would get out there today. This is the sort of weather that can put a stop to skating for weeks at a time or even a month. Cheers. Aaron
A former member
Post #: 19
I just bought a pair of ice awls from Eagle Enterprises on Old Seward near Dowling. They seem like a nice design in that they have a nice grip, are attached together by a cord to run thru your clothing, they float and have spring loaded safety covers. They were $20. The store has a large variety of other safety gear as well.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 38
Mat su ice report
Most mat su ice covered in a tiny bit of snow the exceptions are as follows

Chickaloon 5 marsh
Glassy and mostly clear frozen about a foot thick

Matanuska
Super glassy and clean off crag mtn road in sutton and off clark wolverine road. See pics below it was all sorts of pink and blue reflected off a frozen sheet of glass.

https://picasaweb.goo...­

Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 39
With all the snow we got mat su ice is toast for the time being. I would think that the big lake ice roads will start getting plowed pretty soon. Here is a video of Skating the last good day at sutton on the Mat, was totally gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.co...­

Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 40
Mat su Roadskating

There is some fine roadskating in the valley right now with warmer weather. Try look in the cooler parts of the valley ie away from dt palmer and wasilla it wont last long as its generally 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick on most roads and rapidly turning to slush. Warm weather and snow usually ruins river lake and ocean skating but if youre willing to look in non traditional places you will be well rewarded. Last year I skated on roads airstrips parking lots baseball diamonds train tracks and so forth. Enjoy.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 41
Mat su and anchorage Ice report
In the past 36 hours everything in the valley has melted off and is starting to refreeze tonight.

Hayflats: All the snow melted off and there is FREAKING OODLES of perfect glassy skating to be had, pending continuing cooler weather that blew in tonight.

Most mat su lakes: again all melted off and refreezing tonight

Other locations: Presumably everything else is more or less the same fabulous conditions pending continuing cooler weather that accompanied clear skies tonight.

Anchorage area

Ship creek Tideflats...textured but pleasant ice exists on the flats betweeen the small boat launch on western drive and the port. Best to access just after the bridge over ship creek

Westchester Lagoon: all melted off and liquid on top...if the surface refreezes before snow you will be able to skate the entire lagoon, not just the plowed loop.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 42
Mat su Ice report

Matanuska river South of palmer bridge. There is a bit of skating on river left a quarter mile sout of the bridge, clean and fast. With the warm weather we had the mat unclogged itself of ice and the water level dropped 2 feet, so it didnt quite top its banks and flood and freeze the entire plain yet. Stay a good distance from the channel the ice near it is pretty collapsey.

Knik River FCS area there is all sorts of clean and fairly smooth ice here, I suspect the Jim creek area is also pretty nice. There is also about 1000m of pond skatin here as well.

Lakes: Echo Bradley Kepler are all decent shape...Wasilla lake and lucille lake are clear and skatable rough in spots. There is a trail under the highway that connects those two lakes. I suspect most other lakes are skatable as well.

Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 43
Rabbit Slough

This afternoon there was about an inch of water on top of 2 inches of ice on top of 3 inches of water on top of a few feet of ice. The ice was quite smooth and was a real hoot to skate through the water, there was no friction at all. A detour off the slough is well rewarded with fabulous skating. It was raining when I left but might be snowing now not sure.

Wasilla LAke

Appeared fine this afternon but may have issues with overnight snow as well.