We will be joining forces with activists from Florida Voices for Animals (http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Voices-for-Animals/) and Animal Rights Foundation of Florida (ARFF) of Orlando for the first International Empty the Tanks protest at Sea World.
Afterward, advocates will be meeting for lunch at the amazing Ethos Vegan Kitchen in Winter Park.
Here's more information from ARFF:
On this day we will globally come together as one body and use our voices to stand up against this cruel industry.
We must let Sea World and all captive facilities know that we will not stop being a voice for these precious creatures who have lost their right to freedom, their right to live a natural life and are now imprisoned, artificially inseminated and forced to perform "tricks" for food, all for human entertainment.
For those of you who are not familiar with the cruel nature of this billion dollar business, here are the facts:
- There are currently 42 orcas being held captive worldwide.
- At least 136 wild orcas have been taken into captivity from the wild since 1961. One hundred twenty-three of these (or 90.4%) orcas are now dead.
-These are the most intelligent animals living on the Earth today; to keep them in a swimming pool is inherently cruel.
- One of the most common causes of death of dolphins in captivity is suicide. Unlike humans, dolphins do not automatically breathe. Upon suffering deep depression, dolphins can choose not to return to the surface for that last breath of air.
- A staggering 53% of dolphins who have survived such an aggressive and violent capture die within 90 days.
- The average life span of a dolphin is 45 years; in captivity, most dolphins do not live longer than 2.
- Every 7 years, half of all captive dolphins die from capture shock, pneumonia, intestinal disease, ulcers, chlorine poisoning, and other stress-related diseases.
- Just ask yourself: Is transporting an ocean mammal from the ocean in a truck and airplane for many hours not cruel?
What you can do:
Come with us to Orlando and be the voice for these captive animals and invite your friends!!
*Posters and banner will be provided; just bring yourselves!
If you have any questions you can email [masked] or [masked].
It is time to EMPTY THE TANKS.
Thank you for your support.
For the captive ones