If no chip, or for a lost pet:
Call all the local shelters (
Pinellas County listed at bottom of this email) and nearby vet offices immediately to leave a description. Also, if possible, go to the shelters and vets with a photo.
Hang flyers all over the area with a good photo, description and your phone #.
List on these sites:
1) Pinellas County Sheriff's Office - http://www.pcsoweb.com/cares/
2) Craig's List - Don't try to sell or give away pets here. But it's a good place for lost and found animals.
3) Tampa Bay Times and Tampa Tribune will list a found pet for free for several days. You have to call, you can't do it online. Also there will be a few days delay before it's in the paper.
If you found
a pet, leave something about him/her out in the description so you can use it to make sure anyone claiming to be the owner is legitimate.
Shelters to call and/ or visit in Pinellas County:
1) Pinellas County Animal Services, [masked] - http://www.pinellascounty.org/animalservices
2) SPCA Largo, [masked] - http://www.spcatampabay.org/
3) Humane Society of Pinellas, [masked] - www.humanesocietyofpinellas.org
4) Pet Pal Animal Shelter, [masked] - petpalanimalshelter.com
5) Suncoast Animal League, [masked] - www.suncoastanimalleague.net
6) Friends of Strays, [masked] - www.friendsofstrays.com
That's just my 2 cents worth. :)