Ann Arbor Classics Book Group Message Board › Ann Arbor Classics Book Group - March 2014 reading selection issue

Ann Arbor Classics Book Group - March 2014 reading selection issue

Rebecca
user 9765694
Group Organizer
Ann Arbor, MI
The 1001 Books list ranges from Aesop's Fables in 600 BCE  through the first decade of the 21st century.   Old "classics" are the norm for this group, but let's try something new!  The poll for March included only books from 1990 and forward.   The novel chosen, City of God by E. L. Doctorow, was published in 2000.   It's available from amazon in Kindle and new and used copies.  betterworldbooks.com also has several used copies. There is one copy at the AA Library, and two at the UM libraries.

Stole this from https://www.goodreads...­ by Maggie:  "This is a beautifully written book with so many fascinating perspectives on faith, religion, meaning, our place in the universe, the existence of god, suffering, humanity, relationships -- basically everything in the human experience. It's also a bit of a mystery and love story. It's not an "easy" book to ready, as it's told from different perspectives and can be confusing until you get into the rhythm of it. Now that I've finished it, I want to start over from the beginning, since I think it will reveal more to me now that I've made an initial pass at it. The end does lead back to the beginning, like the classic image of a snake swallowing its tail or the cycle nature of life and even history. I think I need to take a little break, read something slightly simpler (like a palate-cleanser) and then go back to it soon.
Many passages are beautiful little tidbits all by themselves, like little bits of poetry or short stories with gorgeous, evocative imagery and mind-bending concepts that challenge the givens of your day-to-day existence."
Now the reason I am writing is that only one person, not including me, has signed up for the March meetup.  And that makes me wonder if people just really do not want to read this book.  Since there actually was a tie in the March poll results -- City of God and White Teeth by Zadie Smith both received 63% -- I have created a new poll between these two books.  Please vote (again) at:  http://www.meetup.com...­.
Thanks, Rebecca