Ann Arbor Classics Book Group Message Board › Ann Arbor Classics Book Group - vote for June and send suggestions

Ann Arbor Classics Book Group - vote for June and send suggestions

Rebecca
user 9765694
Group Organizer
Ann Arbor, MI
Hi, everyone.  Hope you are enjoying the wonderful Michigan Spring!
The poll for June 2014 is up at http://www.meetup.com...­ The poll will close on May 4th.

Calling for more suggestions!
There's not a lot of variety left for polls for the rest of the year:  16 of the 23 left on the list were written by American or English authors.  Only 2 are from 1800's; 6 from 1920-1954; 3 from 1963-1975, 11 from 1984 or later.  While they all are on the 1001 List, based on the 1990+ poll and attendance, it does not seem like a lot of people want to read "current" literature.
So if you have any suggestions, please send me an email or post a reply to the Discussion Board for this message.

Thanks,
Rebecca
Christian Michael ...
user 150299932
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 1
What about Mansfield Park by Jane Austen?
Lisa H.
user 3314839
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 14
Hey, we were talking about suggestions, and I looked on the list for some of the stuff I'd rather read before Sorrows of Young Werther. Here's a partial list. :) In case you need new titles to add.

Arrow of God Chinua Achebe
Half of a Yellow Sun Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Man With the Golden Arm Nelson Algren
Money: A Suicide Note Martin Amis
Crash J.G. Ballard
Empire of the Sun J.G. Ballard
The End of the Road John Barth
Watt Samuel Beckett
Herzog Saul Bellow
Elizabeth Costello J.M. Coetzee
U.S.A. John Dos Passos
The Brothers Karamazov Fyodor Dostoevsky