Ann Arbor Shutterbugs (Photography) Message Board New Meetup Ideas! › Crosswinds on Sunday morning

Crosswinds on Sunday morning

Frank K.
frankkaelin
Ann Arbor, MI
Good morning, everyone!

Well, we have a nice mixture of people who have shot at Crosswinds before along with roughly half the group who will be visiting it for the first time!

Since the marsh is in a low-lying area, some mornings it is blanketed in a nice layer of mist. And sometimes that mist and cold morning temps help produce some outstanding hoar frost on the ground, boardwalk, oak leaves that you might find along the pathway. 20s Sunday morning (dress for it, with moisture sometimes it can seem colder), a warmer day on Saturday... I'm hoping that the 41 deg. Far. predicted for Sat. gets up to 50 deg. far., that might increase our chances of experiencing the mysterious mist and hoar frost that can make the boardwalk magical some mornings. Wide angle here, for me... 15-50 mm on full frame.

If we have frost, after some abstract misty boardwalk/birdhouse/landscape shots, I usually attach a macro or zoom and do close-ups on the frost before it melts.

However, if a breeze comes in we might find ourselves with a boring, brown landscape that might not excite the senses on first blush. But all will not be lost in this scenario! We will proceed to walk some of the paths around the marsh. Attach a longer zoom because sometimes wildlife happens! Swans, other big birds (how the occasional sandhill cranes usually taunt me there!), pheasant (rare), deer (common, esp. if you drive in from E. Willow to Haggerty, be on the lookout while you're driving in), and occasionally the bald eagles will make some sort of appearance.

The baldies are harder to see when tree foliage gives them cover... although a nest still exists near the front / exposed part with some dead trees, they moved to a nest that is more secluded in the back of the park in the past couple of years. That said, my dog-walking contact has told me she's had very close fly-bys in recent years when she's surprised one of them early in the morning at different parts of the boardwalk. Kick up your ISO, put on a longer zoon or prime, and be prepared to get a few shots off if you hear fluttering or a bird cry close by. This has only happened to me with sandhills at Crosswinds, but I've seen some close-up shots of an eagle fly-by taken last year. This might be our day!

My cell is xxx, email is zzz. Send me a text or email if you have any questions. The ground should be hard, but sometimes mud happens (even if you don't step off the boardwalk and fall into the marsh, which may have happened to me once). Trail runners, boots, or shoes that would be OK to get a little muddy couldn't hurt. Layer for 20s and you should be ready to roll.

See you Sunday,

Frank