DianeG
HippieChick1
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 33
Just took a hike with some naturalist friends on Wednesday April 30 in LeFurge Woods. The forest floor was replete with wildflowers just starting to bloom. Trillium, blue cohash, yellow trout lily, spring beauties, jack in the pulpit etc. It would be well worth the trip to go out into the woods this weekend for anyone so willing.
Frank K.
frankkaelin
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 26
LeFurge Woods is always a great location. Thanks for the update, Diane... sounds like it it worth it to continue on into the woods now. For dawn shoots, mist often hangs from the treeline through the fields; skittish wood ducks often are spotted across the busy road (you can stalk them from the road, but their disappear quickly, so be ready, and don't venture onto the private property across the street). Soon dragonflies, spiders, and butterflies will be found in the fields at LeFurge, and right now it is wildflower season in the woods... great spot. I have company coming in from out of town... we'll def. check it out (not a meetup this time, but we will do one there soon).
Frank K.
frankkaelin
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 27
I typed up a basic reply to someone and hashed out a google map with my best guess on directions to trillium, yellow trout lily and jack-in-the-pulpit that I found yesterday.

The main fields are kind of boring now... they will have tall grasses and spiderwebs in them soon, along with dragonflies and butterflies once things warm up a bit. But I ventured a ways into the woods and found hills with trillium, yellow trout lily and jack-in-the-pulpit.
http://www.smlcland.o...­
LeFurge Woods Nature Preserve
Out of the parking lot, follow the path straight ahead. Then take a right and walk along the boarded portion. Anyway, I made a rudimentary map... around the top of the hill in the field, there is an entrance way into the woods-- a better path than the other ones I found before I made it to that area of the park/field. Hope it helps!

Frank K.
frankkaelin
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 28