Annapolis Jaycees - 20s & 30s Volunteer, Networkin Message Board › Needed - Basketball Special Olympic Volunteers

Needed - Basketball Special Olympic Volunteers

user 8030089
Annapolis, MD
Hi everyone, sorry for the mass e-mail. I manage a program for Special Olympics called Player Development/Mentor. These teams have a mix of "traditional" athletes and special olympic athletes playing side by side. The purpose of the traditional athlete or mentor, is to help facilitate the game and teach the athletes the rules of the game. These athletes have basic skills for basketball (dribbling, shooting, etc) but have not mastered how to play offense and defense.

I am looking for 2-3 volunteers to be mentors for an adult team I have created. It is every Monday night from 7:15-8:15 at Old Mill HS. We also have three games on weekends and the season ends March 20 with a statewide tournament.

Even if you don't know how to play basketball that well, that is fine. This is 3v3 half court and is simple to instruct athletes to pass, dribble, and shoot when they need to. You don't even need to exert yourself too much since it is half-court.

Please e-mail me if you have additional questions or if you are interested. We have practice this Monday so if you want to come out and see how its done, let me know. If you know of someone who would be interested, please forward this along.