addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

South Florida App Devs Message Board › Introductions from New Organizer

Introductions from New Organizer

A former member
Hey guys!
I run a group that focuses on mobile application development for the Microsoft platform, Windows 8 and Windows Phone.  When I found out that this group was going to expire for lack of an organizer, I was excited about the opportunity to join and be the organizer.  So, I guess I should go ahead and introduce myself.  I work for Microsoft as a Technical Evangelist here in South Florida specializing in mobile application development.  I graduated from Vanderbilt University in May of 2013 with a degree in Computer Science and Spanish.  During my junior and senior year of college, I did some work with Android apps, but have focused on the Microsoft side since graduating.
Even though I have focused on the Microsoft platform in my other group, we have focused a lot on cross platform tools that can apply to anyone and everyone interested in mobile application development.  Examples include cross-platform game making tools, Xamarin, Phone Gap, etc.  Therefore, I am confident that I can lead the group in a way that doesn't exclude any platform or developer while, at the same time, being a valuable resource for anyone looking to publish to the Microsoft platform.  There are several different ways that I can help there!
Although I am stepping up as Organizer, I would love to have help and insight from the group as much as possible. I want to make sure that we are providing meetups that are appropriate to our members.  If anyone is interested in working with me as a Co-Organizer, I would greatly appreciate it!  Message me if interested.
Additionally, if anyone has any topics or presentations that they would like to do for the group, please send me those ideas as well.  I've got some ideas, but it will be nice to have an array of things on the calendar  I would especially be interested in what people might be looking for in a first event.  Maybe more of a networking event where we get together, have some food, and chat about what we are doing.  A great way for me to meet everyone and hopefully for you guys to meet each other if you have not already.
In terms of location, I have a location that we can leverage at the Microsoft Innovation Center in downtown Miami for free.  The address is 1010 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33132.
The last thing I want to make everyone aware of is the Bizspark program that several of you may be interested in.  Bizspark is a Microsoft program that provides you with free developer tools (ex. Visual Studio), free Microsoft developer account, as well as $150 credit per month to use in Azure, Microsoft's cloud platform.  You can leverage Azure for hosting websites, databases, mobile services, etc.  This is an amazing program and completely free to anyone looking to publish mobile apps that either leverage Azure or are on the Microsoft platform.  If anyone is interested in this, please contact me!
Anyways, very nice to meet everyone, and I am excited to be working with you.  Contact me with any questions, comments, or concerns!
Scottie S.
user 12111649
Deerfield Beach, FL
Post #: 1
Good talking with you. Looking forward to building this group into a great networking environment.