This Meetup hikes 4.2 miles of the famous Benton Mackaye Trail (a trail named for the creative genius behind the world famous "Appalachian Trail"). This trail is wilder than the Appalachian Trail - as if you stepped back in time to hike the Appalachian Trail of the 1960's!
The 4.2 mile hike passes the falls (on the left) and arrives at a beautiful mountain bald for lunch (high meadow) & back. This hike is rated MODERATE in difficulty (if you exercise once a week and don't have any prohibitive health conditions - you'll be fine).
We'll meet at Amicalola Falls State Park at 9am - and caravan to the trailhead from there.
PLEASE PRINT THIS TRIP DESCRIPTION AND PRINT UP THE GOOGLE MAPS INSTRUCTIONS BELOW EVEN IF YOU HAVE A GPS. PLEASE TAKE THE PRINTOUTS WITH YOU TO THE HIKE! YOUR CONTACT PHONE NUMBER FOR BOB G. =[masked] BUT MT. RECEPTION IS 50/50.
Please wear comfy shoes and cushy socks, and comfortable clothing for the hot weather we've been having. For forecast info see Dawsonville, Georgia weather. Carry a rain poncho 3 BOTTLES WORTH OF WATER, some trail snacks and a sack lunch.
The cost of the trip is $20. If you are not a member - click on "Join Us" to the upper right of the page - and then RSVP for the trip.
CLICK HERE for Google Maps directions to Meetup location ! (Substitute you own address for Atlanta when you pull it up).
YOUR ITINERARY FOR THE DAY :
* 9AM SHARP - MEET AT AMICALOLA FALLS STATE PARK
* 9-9:30AM - MEET & GREET / SIGN RELEASES
* 9:30AM SHARP - CARAVAN OF CARS LEAVES PARKING LOT AT PARK FOR 45 MINUTE SLOW DRIVE TO TRAIL HEAD - WE WILL LEAVE ON TIME.
SHUTTLE IN CARAVAN TO TRAILHEAD
* 9AM - SUBDIVIDE GROUP INTO SMALLER GROUPS / START HIKING
* 2-3PM - FINISH HIKE / DRIVE IN CARAVAN ON FOREST SERVICE ROAD OUT TO PARK OR MAIN ROAD
A) FOLLOW CARAVAN TO SMITH HOUSE SOCIAL IN DAHLONEGA (30 MINUTES)
B) VISIT AMICALOLA FALLS STATE PARK
C) DRIVE HOME
* You will be asked to sign a standard industry liability release form at Amicalola Falls State Park and WILL NOT be allowed to participate without signing said release. You will not be refunded or compensated in any way should you refuse to sign said release.
* TRIPS GO RAIN OR SHINE AND ARE NOT CANCELLED OR REFUNDED DUE TO WEATHER