Appleton WordPress Message Board › ecommerce tied to a pre-canned child theme?

ecommerce tied to a pre-canned child theme?

Craig D.
user 8803149
Little Chute, WI
Post #: 2
I am considering buying a theme from themeforest that isnt tied to a name framework (Genesis, Thesis, etc). I want to do some e-commerce, namely running some calculated pricing based on a size formula to determine pricing for a product and then add it to a shopping cart and then checkout with a cc or paypal.

Is it reasonable to expect most of these themes can be tied to a common shopping cart system or is that unlikely?
Jeff R.
AgilityJeff
Greenville, WI
Post #: 3
Craig -

My experiences with ThemeForest have been less than stellar. They use a lot of rogue coders and you can get in to some really messy themes there. Great Tuts, but highly inconsistent themes and you don't know how bad it is until you have purchased it. Crumby response to requests and the attitude is "you bought it / you're stuck with it" if you DO hit one of those themes.

Much better: WooThemes. They have a platform that all theme devs must work from so pretty much once you have learned to work with one theme, you're well on your way to working with any / all of them. The Dashboard is very consistent and best of all for your puposes: WooCommerce is a free plugin with many (paid $20 - $75 depending on the complexity of what you need) extensions.

Stuff just works well - I like the ninjas.

Jeff R.
Craig D.
user 8803149
Little Chute, WI
Post #: 3
I am considering buying a theme from themeforest that isnt tied to a name framework (Genesis, Thesis, etc). I want to do some e-commerce, namely running some calculated pricing based on a size formula to determine pricing for a product and then add it to a shopping cart and then checkout with a cc or paypal.

Is it reasonable to expect most of these themes can be tied to a common shopping cart system or is that unlikely?

Good to know, thanks. I'm trying to do a Genesis with Woo shopping cart now on one site, and am really tempted to drop Genesis in favor of a more advanced theme from Themeforest, as I'm not looking to invest in the design much at this point and it looks great..
Chris S.
ccschmitz
De Pere, WI
Post #: 18
For what it's worth, I've had pretty good luck with ThemeForest themes before. Their review process seems pretty thorough and most themes are pretty well-documented. Their prices are also very affordable. I guess just make sure to read through reviews before you buy because I'm sure some themes are better coded/documented than others.