Appsterdam Guru Sessions are informal, very hands-on workshops to share a technology or a technique between App Makers. Explanation from your peers, open discussion and practical experience are key to these sessions.
At this session, Vincent D. Warmerdam and Marcel Boersma will share two things: an introduction to data mining and an introduction to R. Data mining is an exiting field that is rapidly growing. In this session we'll discuss some basic machine learning methods and some data related tricks. After this guru session you'll have:
- Learned basic usage of R methods, objects and libraries.
- Ripped a summary of your data in two lines of code.
- Experimented with different ways of plotting.
- Visualized the best way to feed a chicken
- Find a hack such that you can buy cheap plane tickets
- Predict the price of a house in the future
- Written a script that recognizes pixels on an input field in order to recognize a digit. (so you'll even learn a bit about artificial intelligence)
10:00-10:30: Doors open, participants sign in
10:30-12:30: Session starts - Intro exercises
12:30-13:30: Lunch break
13:30-17:00: Session continues - deeper exercises
17:00 onwards: Pizza and beer!
This session is meant for anyone who is interested in knowing a bit more about data mining. Before the session you'll need to have R installed. If you want to bring your own data to play with instead or have an expert looked at you are encouraged to bring it along with you.