Appsterdam Message Board › Apps and VAT, a ticking time bomb?

Apps and VAT, a ticking time bomb?

Martinus M.
user 10339947
Amsterdam, NL
Hi!
Are you doing your VAT/BTW declarations right?
On Wednesday September 25, Victor Alting van Geusau and Wilbert Nieuwenhuizen gave a Wednesday Lecture on issues app makers may encounter with the VAT-declarations if you distinguish between B2B and B2C and 'local', 'inside EU' and 'outside EU'.
As Appsterdam we will investigate what actions we can take, if the issue turns out to be widespread. The lecture video is available on Youtube, and I have created a survey. If you have paid apps in the app store, especially Google Play, please watch the video and participate in the survey.
Thank you,
Martinus Meiborg
Appsterdam
One A.
user 7413467
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 160
My company had avoided VAT by working it abroad.
Vincent H.
vhindriksen
Haarlem, NL
Post #: 6
Almost 2 years ago I asked the Belastingdienst exactly this. Answer: they did not know. I therefore sorted it out myself. Therefore I like this initiative! Make sure to make this info public.
Martinus M.
user 10339947
Amsterdam, NL
Post #: 7
Right now the best strategy seems to be: consider all your clients as consumers and charge and declare the local VAT rate (21% the Netherlands).

In order to shift VAT to a foreign EU business client, you would have to now his VAT credentials before making the sale. Doing it after the sale is a pain in the ass as you then would have to refund the VAT you have charged... as your foreign EU business client then has to pay his local VAT locally, in stead of your local rate to you...

Reverting such VAT payments to each individual €1-5 app sale to a business client... Well you are in the businees of creating apps not of insanity...