Tickets: first 99 are £15, there after £20 follow this link for purchase
Date: Saturday 28 September 2013
Time: 6:30pm – 10:30pm
Location: St Johns Church, 73 Waterloo Road, London, SE1 8TY
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/556399487712594/
Poetic Pilgrimage | The Berakah Project | Pearls of Islam | Ali Nourbaksh | Ikwon
& MC Jaheda Choudury
Information on Rumi’s Birthday Party
“We rarely hear the inward music, but we’re all dancing to it nevertheless.”- Rumi
The UKs first ever Muslim-led interfaith party; bringing Muslims and non-Muslims together through music!
Saturday 28th September 2013, Waterloo, London.
The UKs first ever Muslim-led interfaith party; bringing communities together to celebrate faith and multicultural Britain through music and comedy. The event consists of wonderfully diverse acts whilst promoting an inclusive, interfaith message. Performances include daf solos, nasheeds, spoken-word acts, rap, fusion, an interfaith musical-ensemble, and comedy.
The Inclusive Mosque Initiative is a collective of Muslims from a variety of backgrounds working to promote and practice inclusive, accessible Islam. We are passionately committed to interfaith growth and positive communication across (and within) communities. We hold regular spiritual, social and educational events across the UK and are fundraising towards a zero-carbon mosque space. Recent press interest in the initiative includes the BBC, The Guardian, Asian Network Radio and Salaam magazine.
It is crucial, now more than ever before, that we are able to communicate and learn from each other and the differences between us all. The Inclusive Mosque Initiative envisions a permanent space where every worshipper, or cynic, is welcomed equally, a family-friendly space which functions as a religious and community resource for the curious and most disadvantaged of British society too. This event will be a beginning, and the aural experiences will be unique!
Featured performers are well known in the UK and internationally and are fantastically different, including;
- Poetic Pilgrimage, female spoken-word and hip-hop duo ‘using Music, Art, Words, Love and Prayer to change the world’ (www.poeticpilgrimage.tumblr.com).
- The Berakah Project, highly acclaimed interfaith musical ensemble fusing Jazz, Classical and Middle Eastern influences (www.theberakahproject.org).
- Pearls of Islam, the up and coming female trio ‘using African and Middle East drumming and Traditional Arabic and English nasheeds to promote Sufi-inspired Islam’ (www. pearlsofislam.webs.com).
- Ali Nourbakhsh, traditional Iranian musician and Jazz-fusion player (with the NoName Trio) will be doing a daf solo. Ali commands ‘a wide and varied array of pitch and resonance and produced a phenomenal cacophony of sounds from just a single drum’ (www.alinourbakhsh.com).
- Rap from Miami with Ikwon, promoting tawhid (unity) through his music (www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbkqjztCWo).
- Our guest MC for the night will be Jaheda Choudhury, of Ajah UK, the ‘alternative Hip Hop band [who] detonate the stage with their high energy, high octane live performances. Spitting bars in English & Bangla’ (www.ajahuk.org).
The event coincides with the birthday anniversary of Jalaluddin Rumi, the great Sufi poet, Islamic theologian, jurist and mystic. Seven hundred years ago he said ‘Come, come, whoever you are’ and our inclusive ethos echoes his message. This event, like our future mosque, welcomes families, people of all faiths (and none!) and will be accessible to everyone. Organiser Zaynab said; ‘We are really looking forward to this event, not only for the awesome music but for the inclusive message behind it. Rumi is a perfect example of how accessible Islam can be. The artists are all amazing performers, and are amazingly different; this is what we want to promote. The Inclusive Mosque Initiative is aiming for a permanent mosque space, so this fundraising event will help us to continue all the work that we have been doing so far. As the UKs first ever Muslim-led interfaith party this event will bring Muslims and non-Muslims together to celebrate faith and music too.’
To find out more, give us a call[masked] or email [masked]
For event information http://inclusivemosqueinitiative.org or find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/556399487712594/
Tickets from http://www.wegottickets.com/event/220858
The Inclusive Mosque Initiative
Rumi’s Birthday Party, Saturday 28th September 2013, St John’s church, Waterloo Road, London, SE1 8TY (6:30-11pm).