On behalf of the WordCamp 2012 steering committee, I'm following to let you know the status of our plans to present the 2012 edition of this very successful event and to solicit your interest in volunteering to help with preparation for and production of WordCamp 2012.
We are moving ahead rapidly to finalize dates, venue(s), and other basic details. And we've begun active planning and scheduling of the many operational and programmatic details required to make next year's event as successful as 2011.
: Pending venue confirmation, Friday-Sunday, February 24-26, 2012
: Chandler Center for the Arts + one or two other locations TBD (in process but unconfirmed)
WORDCAMP OPERATING GUIDELINE UPDATES
: The decision of the WordPress Foundation (owner of WordCamp trademark and rights) to standardize and streamline access to and operation of the WordCamp experience will have a largely transparent impact on all WordCamps, including Phoenix). For attendees there is no real impact on their experience - we will still present a great program. But functionally we are making some adjustments and taking advantage of some of the backend support that will make our jobs a little easier.
WHAT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW:
HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED
- Steering Committee is currently six people: Dallin Harris, Leigh Down, Lisa Faiss, Carol Stambaugh, John Gaugh, and me. We are working together as a tight team to make key operational and strategic decisions that will enable us to bring more TEAM LEADERS and other volunteers on board quickly, define specifics in each area, and begin to delegate to and through the team leaders as they put their teams together.
- We anticipate confirmation of venue(s) by the end of nxt week; tentative holds are pending a site visit by members of the steering committee, deposits, and contractual commitments.
- Dates are subject to venue availability, so dates should be finalized next week as well.
- We have a rapidly evolving list of functions, tasks, and deadlines that we will need to meet to get our program put together and out into the market.
If you are interested in serving as a TEAM LEADER
- We need key team leaders: at least five; probably less than 10 (still in progress)
- We need volunteers to serve in every capacity, mostly during the event, but also some who can help us (like communication/promotion/planning) in the near term. The old saying applies: "Many hands make light work."
we want to hear from you immediately, and want to know what specific knowledge, skills and practical experience you can bring to your position that will enable you to fulfill the functional requirements of organizing, helping us to recruit, train and supervise your own team of volunteers.
Specific team areas will be finalized and communicated to you and other members of the AZ WordPress Group (Meetup) within the next week.
WorldCamp 2012 website
will be started by November 1
, and will have complete information, including a schedule of classes/ topics, tracks, etc. by December 1
, the beginning of our WordCamp 2012 marketing and promotion campaign
With the holidays coming up it's going to be challenging to stay on top of this. So, if you are interested, now is the time to come forward and let us know that you want to take a leading role in WordCamp 2012.
There's a lot to do and we're looking to some of you who are receiving this email to come forward an express interest in working with the steering committee. More details will be available around November 1.
We are confident that this is going to be a fun and fast-moving experience for all who choose to get involved.
Many thanks in advance for your interest,