addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › WordPress Idea

WordPress Idea

Closed to new replies

Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 1
I've been working on a site off and on as a hobby for quite some time. It has all of the potential to go places, it's just simply held back by me. (blah blah blah, insert stuff we've all heard a million times here) My question though is if anyone knows how I might go about opening this up as some sort of an Open Source type project. Obviously WordPress is Open so the project has to be, but the idea should provide an incredible flow of freelance work for everyone concerned. I want to retain ownership of the domain, obviously, but there are a ton of people that could solve these problems so much faster and get this project off the ground.

Has anyone had any experience on starting an Open Source Project? What would I need to do?

First order of business would be a Multisite XML Sitemap option that is backwards. I need one that builds the sitemap from the main domain down adding all of the sub directories to the main sitemap. So, as I add subdirectory blogs to my Multisite I need the main domain Sitemap to include all of the information of the Sub Blogs.

I have the whole project built out in my mind, it's just unique in that it's leaning more towards using WordPress as a CMS (which is the way WordPress is heading anyways), but I'm ahead of that curve in what I need because the plugins don't exist yet.

Jerry Craig
Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 2
HA!!! I'm going to bomb the board. I was up till 2 am last night and have decided that I am going to roll this out as an Open Source Project. My best example would be Buddypress on WordPress. I'm going to pull together all the plugins and stuff that the "Network" has to allow and so forth.

Unfortunately, since there is no "Community" yet, I will be doing this as they mentioned as an "Enlightened Despot" version of trying Open Source until there are some Community Members to bounce things off of and so forth.

I will be writing up all of the necessary documentation and so forth and will probably just post something to the actual pages of the site (it is a blog) and go from there.

I'll post something here for everyone to follow once I have "something" for everyone to look at. The scope of the project is national, but it would surely be nice to have some local experts to bounce things off of.

Jerry Craig
Cupbearer
A former member
Post #: 12
Based on your description, this doesn't sound like an open source project. This sounds like a personal project where pro bono work will be reciprocated at an unknown time with an vague benefit .... since developers are frequently pitched with "business plans" that typically involve "work for now for free and we'll pay you later with cash or equity", you're going to need to make one hell of a mean argument to get talented peeps involved.... usually we receive pitches like this because of one simple reason: money. Someone has an idea, but no resources, so they ask us to take all the risk based on their idea .... which doesn't fly unless you've got an insanely awesome idea, but even then, that would not be an open source project, that's a partnership in a business that hopefully has a solid plan and model in place.

First and foremost, you need to lay out exactly what you are trying to do and what the benefits are in participating in your project ... you've given very little specific info .... you can't really pass go until you make a solid pitch that will entice a gainfully employed, talented developer to stop working on a job he is getting paid for to contribute to your project for free .... :)

T

Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 3
Ya, that's certainly could be the issue. I'm moving the site to the .org domain and reworking some stuff to be able to post the actual scope. Mission, Goals, What the Site Won't be so forth to see if people are interested. I could probably do some sort of VC stupid thing, but most of those people are pretty unintelligent leeches and I'm not sure anything works if it's hyped and running on borrowed money. Hopefully, people will be able to see that the project will be good for the "community" first. I'm not sure even so far how I'm going to make money on it. I'm sure like most of the "Big" projects out there I will eventually, but the whole goal has been supporting the community first. Actually several different communities, so I'm hopeful.

I think the biggest problem I would have it getting enough talent in 1 place to handle the project in a timely enough manner. By the time it would be ready to roll out everything will of changed. I'm a good visionary, I can read the code and understand it, but some of the things my developer(s) are working on is pretty far outside the box :) He's been doing this for several years freelance and I'm up to being his second most difficult site he's worked on... He's got another 3 months to work on the project so I'm not concerned that I'll take the top spot before he's done ;) ... The new project far outpaces the scope of the current project. In no way would I ever be able to write that novel in php.

Anyways, it's glad to know the Board isn't dead and someone is out there. I look forward to the next meetup and a place I can bounce ideas off of people without having their eyes glass over and roll back into their heads.

Jerry Craig
Cupbearer
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 44
So, I haven't had time to get in here until now and I'm glad Trace laid that out in a nicer manner than I could have hah...
Anyways - I have a shirt that says "Don't Pitch me Bro"... because it happens ALL the time, every time I speak somewhere I got 10 of em lined up with the next million dollar idea.

Anyways... I'm not sure how much you know about the local VC/angel community but there's not much here in the tech area, and the ones that are won't touch anything without a current revenue stream and a history of your own bootstrapping/angel funding. Most I know aren't leeches. But like every group there's always a few.

So not to say what Trace already has... so if it's a community thing... which pretty much anything that's been built "for the community" has different motives behind it so people are sketchy already. Perhaps be part of the community you're trying to benefit and see who's in that community that meshes w/ your idea.

I can say however that all the good devs I know are swamped... there's lots of work out there and most of us are months out for new bandwidth. Not saying there isn't somebody available but just sayin...

With that... I wish you good luck... and I'm out.
Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 4
Well, if it comes to it I'll just keep working on building it myself... Let's put it this way, i'm past the teenage stage of developing... I'm past thinking that I know everything... You always reach that point when you know more than everyone around you, but you realize that there are a lot of people that know way more than you do... That said, I'm confident that I could write whatever I want or need (although I don't have much hair to pull out when it's not working right)...

Are you selling those shirts somewhere? :)

It will be interesting to find some good devs, from an employer side of thing, since I've hired ones before, most are glorified hackerz, with the ability to mash other peoples code together to make it do what they want. Originality and innovation will be refreshing...

I've got the multisite portion up, now just to copy over my old theme and make some changes and upload the goals and mission stuff, then you can judge it from there...

Soooo, when's the next meetup? Anything on the horizon?

Jerry Craig
Cupbearer

Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 47
Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 6
Nice!!! I like the one that says "Let me get the first no out of the way! NO" also, and seeing how my idea originated by something that my Mom thought up, LOL, the "Your Mom is not a valid test market" had me laughing out loud...

Is someone on here the LeadPress devloper? The other site I'm working on for "work" might be able to use that? I'd just need to get through this stupid April 1, no 5th, compensation mess and figure out what we're going to make on this stuff going forward. How much control do you get with the Enterprise edition? I've built my own Calculator that I would need to use, but I've used those back end products before for lead purchasing and maintenance. The mailbox one and ours has a Zillow API page since it's all Reverse Mortage Refi's. Right now i/we dump everything into a Filemaker Database I built 16 years ago for our other company. I spent like $300,000 trying to improve that even buying Microsoft Dynamics and paying a "team" of implementation experts and in the end, my afternoon Filemaker database ran our $28M a year Mortgage Company, and I couldn't get the users to switch... So much for being the President, LOL...

So, when's the next meetup going to be? That is what this is all about? Course, if it's just going to be Trace, Chuck and me I'm guessing it will be quite a while... Anyone else getting notifications on board updates?
Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 8
LOL, well, we know what Trace Sounds like now. Just watched the video on LeadPress. Guess that answers that question. The last Reverse Mortgage Lead guy just sold his company to Genworth for over $3M cash. He was pushing out Lead Generating Sites using WordPress as well. From a users viewpoint the one that I'm trying to build, especially since it's Reverse Mortgage driven, is going to use 3.0.x Multisite to allow "leads" to create their own sub-blog so that I will have a space that as they go through the calculator function, when they are all done, they can "Save" that data off into that sub-blog as a post. Use WordPress to show the last 10 "Posts" or saves and then the Archive functions with dating to keep track of the rest. It addresses the fact that most people aren't making that buying decision on the first trip to your site, so hopefully by incorporating Zillow api's you can engage them long enough to get them to return to your site first before starting over with a new Google search. Also, provide updated news and "quality" content which is always the key. This is more important with Reverse Mortgage stuff because there is a 3-6 month education period that people go through before they decide they want to be contacted. I'm going to include some sort of "rate" tracking daily meter in the sidebar as well. Reverse is different from Forwards, but the H.15 from the Federal Reserve I think even lists the going rates for FNMA and Freddie for forwards, that will be the par rates at least.

We're going to use Janrain Engage for the Social Marketing connection and login functionality, did you write something specific? We're currently figuring out how to allow people to use Janrain/rpx to log in and then go back to create a "blog" so that we have the save space, I hate WordPress's registration function, and we're running BuddyPress which has then hijacked that and put it somewhere else. My site also hit some stupid French link back site and I'm struggling on how to keep the casio poker site sub-blogs out. Wish people would figure out how to just create good content to get listed.

When's the next meetup?

Jerry Craig Jr
Cupbearer
Jerry C.
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 9
Trace, do you watch this every day, or most? The TBWS show?

http://tbwsdailyshow....­

They have moved this to make it where you can embed it. As the focus moves from Refi to Purchase you should try to incorporate some sort of Realtor functionality and add the TBWS show as an embed for those "partners". it might be a reason for the LO to get people to go to his site instead of theirs each day? Last check they were over 110,000 subscribers, mostly in the LO arena, but some in the Realtor and Appraiser markets.

Have you also looked and how to integrate with Calyx Point on the Webcaster feature that they are trying to promote to give all of the customers in a Purchase transaction the ability to log in and check for update status? I'm sure there is an API for that where the LeadPress user could update their site and make it look "pretty" or make it match everything else. Otherwise Calyx (as long as it's the enterprise setup) is finally storing all the data in a microsoft sql lite version. If you are interested I'll look closer, I'm being bugged to finally upgrade ours from 7.3 to 7.4 this weekend because of the new comp plan... But they had over 90% of the Mortgage business that wasn't "Banks" before everything blew up. Now that there are mostly only "Banks" left that market share isn't as big, but if you would build an interface with them and then find a way to see if you could get them to help you "promote" it. Back in '06-'07 the cost of that was just over $100,000 if you wanted to be part of their internal dropdown thing and be in their newsletter. I'm sure it can't be that high now, and if you don't need to be in the dropdown? If it can help them sell more webcaster accounts by integrating? That was monthly resididual income for them?

That's just off the top of my head... I was the President of Spectrum Financial Group before it crashed and burned. As such I reviewed almost every software package out there relating to mortgages. These are just a couple thoughts off the top of my head after looking at the site.

I'm interested in the backend integration of LeadPress, what I've been focusing on is the upfront stuff, I haven't spent much time on how to manage the leads on the back end yet. Oh well, meaningful content first, then worry about the other stuff if it ever happens.