Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › BuddyPress Theme Integration

BuddyPress Theme Integration

Sherri Kesinger
soletterra
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 11
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Hi - Anyone have any experience with BuddyPress integration to an existing theme? I'm not overly familiar with it (& not very proficient in css / html) and have a client that needs a program of this type for a membership site (they want member profiles, member chat/forum, and similar functions).

Can anyone provide insight on general time frame it should take to integrate BP with an existing theme and if anyone out there has experience with this (if so, availability and cost to help implement) - OR suggestions on a similar plugin that would function in a similar manner and may be easier to integrate?

Thanks a bunch!

Sherri
Jerry Craig
Cupbearer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 33
Send an Email Post a Greeting
In a test environment run this http://wordpress.org/...­ it's a BuddyPress Template Pack conversion to take your existing theme and covert it to BuddyPress. The guys that made the plugin are the ones that are the main programers on BuddyPress and A Peatling I think now actually works for WordPress/Automatic so they've put some effort behind the plugin.

I've found also a couple wordpress.tv spots from Boone to be really good on BuddyPress. I think it's important what he says to only release certain Components at a time and until they get traction then don't release the next one. There are sooo many different ways to communicate in BuddyPress that sometimes people get lost in how to use it.

I'm running a super modified BuddyPress setup on one of my sites and I eventually just turned off a bunch of things (which is easy to do in the admin panel) until I can get some more traction with the site.

So, watch the spots from Boone, then look at the plugin and that should give you a pretty good idea on what it's going to take. I eventually started over with twenty-eleven and ran the template pack on that becuase I wanted all the nice new widget areas without adding them myself. Worked pretty good.

Jerry Craig