Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › Need help

Need help

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Alyssa,

You do have two sites, however they appear to be a bit different. Some widgets are different from one to the other, so they aren't the same site (as far as I could tell). If you look your "search" is missing from your .com site and the wpengine site shows the search right at the top right column.

My assumption of the two sites is as simple as you still have information going to both of them, however my question is which one is the one that you want? If you don't want the wpengine one than you will need to deactivate the account, delete all of the information there or simply not give out the address (that goes vice versa).

The content/information may be similar because you transferred the content from one server to another, but your sites still don't look exactly alike, which leads me to believe they are on different hosts. Well... that and I just did a whois search on them.

Your domains are pointing correctly or else you would get some type of error when you type in your .com's URL. I like the site, it looks fun and creative!

Wpengine is a free site from Wordpress right? I think they gave me one too (but I never use/used it). Your paid site would be the one you would give out, but you may still have to deactivate or delete the wpengines content for you to only have one site. Before you do... be sure to back up your site on an external drive before making any drastic changes to any site.

Good luck! : O)
Alyssa S.
user 10505100
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 15
Thanks for the response! It's my intention to use the WPengine site. I guess the part I am stuck on is why won't my domain from Wordpress transfer over? I want my site to be dragonflykeep.com using wp as my host. This is where I can't find my mistake. I have followed the directions but still have two sites. I want WP site to have my domain address. Is this not possible?
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks for the response! It's my intention to use the WPengine site. I guess the part I am stuck on is why won't my domain from Wordpress transfer over? I want my site to be dragonflykeep.com using wp as my host. This is where I can't find my mistake. I have followed the directions but still have two sites. I want WP site to have my domain address. Is this not possible?

You have your content on the wpengine site as well as your original hosting site. The reason why the two don't look the same is because they are hosted in two places. If you were to remove the content from your .com site than the domain name would still be active, but the content would not be there (it works vice versa).

The only issue I saw with your site is that you have two of them and they aren't mirrored. You cant have a domain point to two or more servers (as far as I know). If you want your domain (.com) to point to your wpengine site you will need to talk to your host and find out what permissions they need for this to happen (from the wpengine site). Normally, you tell them where you are going, they tell you what permissions they need and you find out where you need to point the domain to the new host. Its a little confusing yes, I remember doing this a little time ago for a company that I was working for. Each host has their own rules and godaddy requires the ok from the original domain name holder.

I remember when I did the "Big Switch", we ended up moving the domain name to godaddy.com too and just kept everything with them. I know some people dont like doing this, but for our site it was the best move for them.

I did speak to someone at wpengine. If you are trying to move your godaddy.com name to wpengine have you seen this documentation? http://wpengine.com/f...­

Scroll down until "If you’re using GoDaddy…". If you do find this information helpful, I would still call godaddy.com and let them know that you are going to be moving the site. That way there wont be any major hold ups on their end.

I hope this helps! : O)
Alyssa S.
user 10505100
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 16
Will you be at the next Wordpress meetup in April? I would like to actually sit with someone. All these messages and responses have just added my confusion.
Christopher
user 4015957
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 2
Look at the previous post about logging into your GoDaddy account and changing the Nameservers. When you log in, go to My Account, Domains, click the Launch button next to Dragonflykeep.com and update the DNS records. Set it up to the information for your new hosting provider. Sorry I don't remember who first suggested this but that should be the correct way to do things. I am just trying to back up what they said. It's just like the post office until you tell them you have moved your domain will still go to the Wordpress.com web site. This has no bearing on whether you have a site at Wordpress, WPengine or any where else. The world thinks your site is at Wordpress.com because you have told GoDaddy to send everyone there. So the question you need to answer is do you have a GoDaddy account? If yes and you have your login information go there. There are plenty of online support files on GoDaddy just search for Change DNS or Change Nameservers. Worst case CALL THEM! Your're a customer and they can walk you through it.

Good Luck.