Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › Hacking Plugins - Best Practices

Hacking Plugins - Best Practices

A former member
Post #: 61
Sometimes I want to accomplish a particular task and find a plugin that does ALMOST exactly what I want it to do. Or maybe the plugin has a deprecated tag or argument. What's the best way to handle this?

Should I tweak the plugin directly (and risk losing the changes on the next update)? Create a new plugin under my own name, but giving credit to the original creator with a description of the modification? Or incorporate the plugin code into my custom theme?

Your thoughts?

Peace out,
Dharma
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 91
well everything is released as open source to technically you can change any of them and do what you want with it.

I commonly build my own plugins and if needed can abstract code out from other plugins and ingest them into mine.

If you're just going to use a plugin a tweak a couple things...
1) if it's an active plugin I always email them or hit them up on twitter and see if they'll implement my change as most of the time it is a feature or bug fix with their code.
2) Rename the plugin directory, and edit the top of the main plugin file to rename the plugin name and version. Then update and do what you want and if that original plugin updates it won't overwrite any of your stuff.