add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › Experience with Magento?

Experience with Magento?

A former member
Post #: 67
I am looking for an eCommerce solution for one of my clients. I know WordPress isn't the best solution for more complex/robust online stores and was looking for an alternative open source, PHP-based solution.

Does anyone here have experience with Magento? Is it a standalone solution? How well does it work? Is it worth my time learning? Or is there an alternative that you would recommend?

Peace out,
Dharma Kelleher
Kyle T.
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 3
I do have some experience with Magento, and I don't recommend it to anyone unless they really want to set aside a lot of time to learn it. It is standalone, and it does work pretty well. It is a beast - it has a lot of overhead and consumes a lot of resources on servers.

If you're doing only the theme for Magento, I'd say you would be alright. You will have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to theme it, but it's not the most complicated thing. If you have to modify any functionality stay away from it, there is a steep learning curve for the non-theme related development.

I should note, I haven't developed anything with Magento in a little over a year. I'm sure things have changed, but from what I've seen not enough to make it worthwhile.
Chuck R.
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 113
It is a beast like Kyle mentioned. It's very good for a large product-based site with minimal taxonomy options. And it is a big undertaking to theme it beyond simple css changes.

Again it's a big multi-question talk but there's not much wrong with a well built WP option as it may be an easier option but w/o knowing all the variables it's up to you at this point.
Chuck R.
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 117
funny enough we just got contracted to build a plugin/extension for Magento for a site we consulted on the API...
Man... this magento is a piece of shit lol.