addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › CSV Importing Plugin

CSV Importing Plugin

Christopher
user 4015957
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 12
Anyone have a favorite CSV Import Plugin?

What I want to do on a regular basis is import CSV data into Custom Post Type tables. I did a search and have found 5-6 possible solutions but I am looking for someone who may already do this on a regular basis.

Another possible solution might be a direct SQL Server to MySQL connection with a daily batch import but I have never attempted this. The customer has a very convoluted setup and CSV may be the easiest way to go until we can update their entire database setup.

On a side note anyone export from WordPress to XML files and import this information to InDesign?

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions,
Chris
Kyle T.
KyleTheisen
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 5
I've had no problems with CSV Importer. It does CPTs, custom taxonomies, and more. As always, really depends on the details but if this has all the features you need it should work great.
Christopher
user 4015957
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 14
I've had no problems with CSV Importer. It does CPTs, custom taxonomies, and more. As always, really depends on the details but if this has all the features you need it should work great.

I looked at the plugin and I am trying to figure it out. My understanding is I will have to rename all of the columns to the standard WP field names like Title and then name the custom fields.

My main concern is that the data I am importing is for different custom post types in the database that are related.

The example is:
Contest - This is contest name and date with maybe a few other fields
Groups - Main groups who are participating
Sub-Groups - The main groups are broken down into sub groups
Winners - Finally the info for the winners which includes about 4 fields.

So trying to make sure all of this gets distributed in the right place may be difficult. I am using Types and Views to create all of the custom post type data on the site. When you look at the custom post type for Contest once you save it you can then add the information for Group, Sub-Group and Winners. That manual process works ok.

However, all of this data, and there is a lot of it is in a Access database which I was planning on converting to CSV or XML and attempting to do some type of import. The CSV file would have all of the record data which would then need to be split up to each custom post type. Right now I have it setup as two. Contests and Winners.

Thanks for the input so far...
Chris
Seth C.
Seth_Carstens
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 3
I'd go with what Kyle recommended. There are some premium importers out there also but I think the free one works just fine. I actually saw a few that had the ability to relate column names with database names so you don't rename anything, you just set them after the upload. Honestly its trial and error with these things though, find something that works and stick with it.... oh and always backup before you import.