Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › Question for service providers...

Question for service providers...

A former member
Post #: 14
For you service providers out there developing and maintaining sites for your clients, how do you manage security? I learned about Sucuri and see that their pricing is based on number sites. If you were to use this (or a similar service) for your clients, would you just buy in at the appropriate level and simply add their domain to your account?

How do y'all manage this?

Thanks,
Jeff
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 132
personal stuff and tech-minded clients I offer that but most don't partake in their services. We have a few WP VIP clients and the other sites we either push towards WPEngine or similar managed WP platform that keeps core updated and monitors for stuff like that... also look into VaultPress http://vaultpress.com...­ - they now have very affordable plans.

But aside from being on a good web host, keeping core updated immediately and keeping to a good theme (usually build my own) and well-used plugins and not having a ton of them or lots of inactive ones... and not using the admin (userid=1) in WP... there's not much else to do. Just keep backups.

Sucuri is awesome though - I've sent a lot of people who've emailed me for cleanup their way and they have saved many a ruined site. I don't even offer cleanup anymore; just send them to Sucuri :)
Lisa R.
user 10875987
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 25
Hi Jeff,

I do exactly what you described: buy in at the appropriate level and add their domain to my account. I've been using CodeGarage but they've recently been bought by Automattic and are migrating to VaultPress. I have a monthly package where my customers get this back-up and security along with me doing any manual updates to their WP software/plugins and getting rid of their comment spam.

Hope this helps! - Lisa :D