addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Arizona WordPress Group Message Board › WP E-commerce

WP E-commerce

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 1

Looking for advice about WP E-commerce

My store has about 400 items and I had moved it from Yahoo to Godaddy and my traffic died..Went from 3000 to 800 a month.
(I know everyone dislikes GD.. Thats beside the point)

I have been looking at http://getshopped.org...­ for e-commerce and decided to ask the group for WP advice. I take Credit Cards and Pay Pal, will be adding another 500 item to the cart this year.

Does anyone specialize in e-commerce? You can write me directly.

Thanks,
Claudia

www.homefashionsu.com Store: www.homefashionsu-store.com

PS, would be glad to host a West Vally Meetup if anyone is interested.
Jane
user 9576148
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 2
I've never done a large shopping cart before but I haven't heard alot of good things about the ecommerce plugin. I have heard good things about the http://shopplugin.net...­ It isn't a free plugin, but frankly I'd rather pay for a plugin that works well and does what I need it to.

Anyway, I just thought I'd suggest it in case you hadn't seen it yet.
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 25
I've done a lot of ecom over the years, WP-based and not, and quite honestly the only thing I can tell you is there is never a perfect solution - they all suck in one way or another.

So with that said... :)

Am I to assume 3000 to 800 was unique visitors or was that conversions? In either regard it's hard to say a simple hosting move killed that for you unless it just wasn't serving the site fore every user - possible but not likely, even with GD.

In regard to what cart to choose... I tend to lean more towards Shopp at this point but have taken great interest in phpurchase as of late as it allows me to build products with custom fields and integrate the cart as such - for your implementation I would probably recommend sticking with one of the typical setups like shopp or wpecomm. Shopp isn't free but it's not expensive either when you think about it. My more recent sites (that have not used a custom setup) have been with Shopp and were pretty heavily customized out of the box so it's not exactly a default setup but worked for what I/client needed.

Both of them are actually sponsoring WordCamp Phoenix and they'll both be there for you to ask more questions of if you want to consider that. Granted that's in January but just sayin it's an option.

Hope that works - let us know if you have any more questions or need help with stuff. Cheers!
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks for your advice, I will check out the options.

I attend WordCamp last year and have signed for 2011. If there is anything I can do to help out let me know.

Thanks again,
Claudia
Chuck R.
ChuckReynolds
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 26
Thanks Claudia. We'll have calls for volunteers further down the road. Still finalizing sponsorship stuff now and then we'll do speakers then volunteers after that... so still a ways but thanks for attending last year and signing up early bird this year (2011... same same lol).

This WordCamp is going to be SO much better... not held back and rushed like I was last year