addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Arlington Chinese Corner Message Board › A joke in Chinese version of film "What Women Want"

A joke in Chinese version of film "What Women Want"

A former member
Post #: 5
I just watched the video of the Chinese remake of "What Women Want" with Gong Li and Andy Lau. The movie gets kind of bad reviews from viewers but I liked it okay. I mean, come on, a remake of a Mel Gibson-Helen Hunt light comedy, what do you want?

Anyway, there's a scene where Gong Li has had a date with another guy, not Andy, and he is Chinese-American so his Chinese isn't perfect.

After they get out of the car at the door to her apartment, they say their goodbyes. The guy thinks she has said "See you tonight" which first perplexes him and then a light of hope dawns in his eyes. Tonight? Like upstairs in your apartment tonight?

She says, No, not wan shang jian, buddy -- wang shang jian (see you online).

Well, I liked it. For my level of Chinese, it's exactly the kind of mistake in understanding I would make.

In general I think this movie is a good one for students of Chinese, because there are one-liners that are fairly easy to grasp.

That's my film review for the day.
sharon dempsey