add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Art Of Home Grown Organic Aloha Gardening W/Events Group!!! Message Board › Help! I need a real tomato!

Help! I need a real tomato!

A former member
Post #: 2
I have a few tomato plants that look like they should be doing amazing! They are something like 3 or 4 feet tall. They have some flowers on them, but they seem to fall off and don't produce fruit. I have read a few things that could be causing this issue.

I think the most likely issue would be lack of pollination. Apparently tomatoes are self-pollinated so it's important they get some airflow. I don't see how that could be a problem because of the wind here. I thought perhaps the issue may be the pollen getting washed away by the rain... Or perhaps the rain is dampening the pollen so it can't be airborne???

Does anyone have experience with tomatoes here in Hawaii? We are in central Oahu so temps are cooler than most parts of the island.

Thanks! Laura
A former member
Post #: 69
bummer! i'm on my way to this as my sprouts are a few inches now. I'll post an update when I can. Generally, I haven't heard of these tomato issues in books or articles.
Master Gardeners are generally available and one is through UH's agriculture program:

I've also found that nurseries in general are a good source of experience and knowledge. I've been to Wally's on Beretenia and the people there seem to know what's going on:­

One other suggestion that I've found useful is the Farmer's Markets. If you have one near you, go to the stand with the tomatoes and shoot em the question. They'll likely have suggestions at the least.

I wish I had a solid answer for you; what has the almighty Internet informed you of? Please keep us up to date as I may have the same issue in the coming months.
A former member
Post #: 3

Thanks for your reply! I haven't had a chance to follow up on this, but the plant is still looking quite healthy with blossoms that fall off and produce no fruit. I appreciate the link to the Master Gardners at UH. A prior question indicated that warm nights can cause the blossom to fall off. I don't know that it is my problem because here in Mililani it does get cool. So.... I am still at a loss as to the problem. If I figure it out, I will let you know.

Thanks! Laura.