The Art in Photography Message Board › Creating Photography web site?

Creating Photography web site?

A former member
Post #: 14
I'm trying to create my own photography web site. Does anyone have any suggestions for ease and economy on creating a site. One with enough pages to display a number of photos? It was suggested at one meet up word press as a web based site. Is this still a preferred site for ease, economy, and good display pages? ...or are there other suggestions? I appreciate any advice! Susan
jon b.
user 9987917
East Fairfield, VT
Post #: 128
Wordpress works, but so does Flickr and Tumblr.
Cathy
Cath554
Colchester, VT
Post #: 25
SmugMug and VistaPrint works well too...
Paul D.
user 8335915
Burlington, VT
Post #: 57
I use Creative Motion Design for my photography site. creativemotiondesign.com. They are less costly than Livebooks and have really nice templates. Another option is to use Wordpress themes like ThemeForest. They have some really nice templates, but not the full functionality as Creative Motion Design.
Paul D.
user 8335915
Burlington, VT
Post #: 58
Susan, go to this link to see the special CMD is running today: http://bit.ly/XzxDIk...­. I would suggest you browse through their templates. They host everything for you, so the real cost will be the annual hosting fees of around 100 bucks. If you host your own WordPress site, the cost would be lower if you go the WordPress route.
Nancy W.
user 14349049
Burlington, VT
Post #: 4
Zenfolio is another site that has lots of useful functions.
Ali W.
user 81224602
Essex Junction, VT
Post #: 1
I use Zenfolio. Very simple to set up and manage. www.aliwhite.zenfolio.com if you want to see what mine looks like. I am in the free trial period and plan to subscribe. Alison
A former member
Post #: 15
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Didn't realize so much was out their!
Glenn G.
user 33855882
Burlington, VT
Post #: 5
Susan, I suggest you think about the purpose of the website, and the target audience, before choosing the tool and format. Are you simply looking for a single web address where you can show your work? Do you want to sell your work. If so, are you printing and shipping? Or do you want that handled for you? Do you have something to say? Every day like a blog? Or a static library? Each of these would point to a different tool. If you just want to display your work, Flickr and other similar sites are free. Want to sell, Zenfolio and Photoshelter are a few of many, charging an annual fee. Need a blog? That was Wordpress territory in the past. Need a full website that is dynamic - Joomla is a good choice. But these add complexity and, in the case of blogs, your audience expects regular updates or they soon disappear. So lots to think about. There is a lot of noise on the internet, and rising above it requires a targeted message and consistent approach.
A former member
Post #: 16
Thank you all for all the infomation. I guess I have reaserach to do in these sites....but knowing more about each is very helpful in eliminating some. Thank you all!