The Art in Photography Message Board › So what's going on?

So what's going on?

Shawn
ShawnK.
Burlington, VT
Post #: 1
Hi there. Just joined the group recently. I've just recently moved into the Burlington area and am currently in that "I don't know anyone, what am I going to do?" stage of having arrived somewhere. Was wondering if there's any meetups planned or pondering being planned. I see a few floaters out there, but they haven't had replies in months (some of them years). Is there any actives left?
jon b.
user 9987917
East Fairfield, VT
Post #: 133
Shawn - welcome! About a year ago, we tried to set up separate committees to handle education, schedule shoots, run critiques, and the like. Basically, this group, with over 300 members, has about 2 people who are willing to actually organize events. Everyone else just wants to attend. It is easy for anyone (including you) to see something that they want to do and post it as an event. If you want to shoot the waterfront some Saturday, just say that you're going, and people should sign up. What we need is leadership who have the time to actively schedule events. Right now, that leadership is lacking. And I say that as the titular leader of the group. Frustrating.
Shawn
ShawnK.
Burlington, VT
Post #: 2
I can imagine it would be incredibly frustrating. In past history have the people who have signed up actively gone? I note there's not a lot of chatter here on the boards either. I'll see what I can come up with.

Curiously, what gear do most people use? Am I the only one still rocking it old school? ;)
Ken S.
GreenDestiny
Group Organizer
Essex Junction, VT
Post #: 192
Hi Shawn,

Although we have a lot of members, we don't have that many doers. If you look over our past meetups you'll see we have had quite a few. I run the Darkroom Gallery and we have a separate meetup site. We have exhibitions and receptions every month. The next one is on June 7th. http://www.darkroomga...­ Consider stopping by.

Ken
Shawn
ShawnK.
Burlington, VT
Post #: 3
Yeah, I saw that as well, the only problem with that is I don't have a car, and though the Essex bus runs pretty often it can be difficult to get to a lot of those places. Especially since I've only been here a couple months and frankly I have no idea where anything is. :D I'll definitely be stopping by there at some point in the future, though.
Shawn
ShawnK.
Burlington, VT
Post #: 4
Out of curiousity, how long is the pigeon shoot going to be? I'm sadly going to be at work at noon. :(
Barbara M.
user 40276932
Burlington, VT
Post #: 2
Hi Shawn-
I am not sure that anyone is going to join me today..thats OK, it was Very short notice. I'd like to plan something again soon. If you are interested in the Jazz Fest maybe we can meet on Church Street on an early evening and take photos. Let me know. Anyone else can join, too!
By the way, the Essex bus stops just across the street from the Darkroom Gallery. Its the last stop before the Amtrak station. I dont have a car, either & live in Burlington.
Barbara