Asheville Voice for Animals Message Board › Campus Reach Out

Campus Reach Out

Sheridan B.
user 61041002
Asheville, NC
Post #: 1
Hey all,

I am a student at Warren Wilson College who is very interested in seeing a more compassion-filled view spread around campus. At the monthly meeting on Sunday, we agreed that it was very important to have a presence on college campuses (whether it be Warren Wilson, UNCA, or others). In light of this, a campus action group should be started.

If anyone would be interested in aiding AVA's (as well as my own) efforts in working to promote a more vegan/vegetarian/animal-minded scene across local campuses, please do not hesitate to contact me. If you do not have the time but would like to contribute some ideas or tactics you think should be a part of this action group, again, please let me know!

I am very excited to see things progress for the animals and my student community!

-Sheridan
Lafayette P.
user 3111732
Group Organizer
Weaverville, NC
Post #: 49
This is GREAT!
You can contact Sheridan direcrtly or you can contact lafayette to help. This will be a VERY fun group. Upbeat and proactive students on campus at a facuility that has a vegan cafateria.
Thanks for stepping up Sheridan. Actions sure speak louder than words!
A former member
Post #: 38
Count me in! Lafayette, I think that AVS should post Sheridan's letter on their meetup site. Would Joe and potluck committee be willing?
A former member
Post #: 7
Although I will not be able to offer direct involvement, here is an impessively practical toolkit:

PCRM - Incorporating Vegetarian Meals on College Campuses

A former member
Post #: 8
Regarding sharing with AVS for a wider audience:

They have an open message board just the same.
A former member
Post #: 39
Good--I forgot about that.
Virginia B.
user 11080802
Asheville, NC
Post #: 1
Hi Sheridan,
I teach at Mars Hill College and have wanted to get some sort of animal compassion group or an initiative promoting vegetarianiasm/veganism started there. I've not known quite how to start, but have a couple of vegetarian students who might be interested. I teach full time and so am fairly busy, but I'd love to be involved in some way for promoting diet awareness and animal compassion on area campuses. Keep me in mind and in the loop!

Virginia Bower
Mars Hill College
(resident of AVL)
A former member
Post #: 40
If we can help get student groups started, they will take off on their own and only need us for support and maybe assistance when the key players graduate. So this would be a good investment of our time, right? Should we have a meeting with Sheridan, Virginia, Anne, the AVA board and any others who want to see this action group launch?
Lafayette P.
user 3111732
Group Organizer
Weaverville, NC
Post #: 50
Joe will be posting a request on their facebook sometime next week. He is also sending messages to some contacts on Campuses on our behalf. AVS has great resources in this area as they have for years leafleted and been involved in Vegan advocacy and AR act ivies on local campuses. He also have several contacts who want to be involved in AVA actions. Many people signed up with AVS at Pride fest and are looking to get involved in AVA. I will receive these names and contacts info within a few days. When I receive this info I will be coordinating this with Sheridan. Nancy will also be involved in these actions at Wafford. I do hope we can communicate Virginia, we are looking for someone to lead a group at Mars Hill. When we find that person I will certainly have them contact you to coordinate efforts.
All the campuses have someting or some group involved in AR. Some are active, and some are a bit dormant.
As soon as I have made contact with these people I hope to get together with all and develop a plan of action for each group. Its in the works folks, any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Contact me anytime for more details. I also have a contact at Furman. Their group is becoming more active. These groups could spread a very wide and effective message among campuses in a complete region.
A former member
Post #: 43
wow...things are heating up, good news!