Asheville's Rawfood Community Message Board › Help a Local Organic Farm on May 14th (Leicester)

Help a Local Organic Farm on May 14th (Leicester)

Chef N.
GarDinSprite13
Group Organizer
Arden, NC

Help a Local Organic Farm on May 14th (Leicester)
I'm trying to help a local non-profit organic farm. Long Branch Environmental Education Center in Leicester, NC currently has no volunteers, WWOOFers, interns, or any other form of help for that matter. We can lighten their workload while learning and having fun. Please feel free to check out their website at www.longbrancheec.org

Long Branch Is dedicated to education, conservation and sustainability. Mr. Paul Gallimore, founder of Long Branch Environmental Education Center is a kind man with a big heart. He educates people of all ages and abilities on how to take better care of our earth while taking better care of ourselves. He also has a “you pick” program through the summer and fall for people to come pick their own berries and apples. It is also a wonderful place to go hiking. I would like for the CL community to learn about this place and help it prosper.

We will be mulching around blueberry bushes, moving rocks, and doing other farm and gardening tasks like watering and maybe a little tree pruning and weed control while learning environmentally friendly ways of gardening. You will all get to meet Mr. Gallimore as I’m sure he will be happy to give a tour, share some knowledge and provide clear guidance on the tasks at hand.

The plan is to meet at the Ingles at the corner of Patton Ave and Leicester Hwy at 8 AM. From there we'll all drive out there together. Carpooling is encouraged. I’m hoping to work Until 5 or 6PM. We’ll break for lunch at 1 PM. If you are only available for a few hours or just want to come see the farm that is just fine. All are welcome.

You may drive directly to Long Branch if you wish, but I’ll warn you, there is very little to no cell phone service in the area if you get lost. The address is: 278 Boyd Cove Rd. Leicester, NC 28748. Feel free to mapquest it or punch it in your GPS. Follow the signs to Long Branch. It is at the end of the road.

PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS AD AND LET ME KNOW HOW MANY ARE COMING AND IF YOU WILL BE MEETING AT INGLES OR GOING DIRECTLY TO THE FARM.

Please bring a water bottle. All the water at Long Branch is pure spring water fresh from the mountain. I always refill my Nalgene bottle right before I leave. Also bring work gloves if you have them. Lunch will be provided. We will be cooking lunch at the farm. I intend to accommodate carnivores and vegetarians alike. If you have any special dietary needs, please let me know or feel free to bring your own food.

MEETING TIME:
Saturday May 14th, 2011 - 8:00 am - 6:00pm