Arden, NC
Post #: 1,357

B 12 A VERY INFORMATIVE BLOG BY TONYA ZAVASTA

http://www.beautifulo...­
Theodore Z.
user 15829501
Asheville, NC
Post #: 143
Every year, several people die as a result of nurses or doctors making a mistake with regard to the number of zeros or the placement of decimal point, or confusing micrograms with milligrams, when weighing substances or deciding upon how much of a substance to give them. They kill people when they overdose people by giving them 10, 100, or 1000 times too much of a drug, or they kill people when giving them only 1/10, 1/100, or 1/1000 of a drug they need to save their life. Even familiar substances with low toxicity can be lethal, in the wrong amount - imagine getting 1000 times as much salt in your intravenous drip, as you are supposed to get. It will kill you. Water is one of the most beneficial things we take into our bodies. But imagine taking in 1000 glasses of water instead of one glass. Not such a good idea. A small amount of sodium hydroxide added to one's eye drops, can make them soothing to the eye, instead of irritating. Add 1000 times as much and the eyedrops will burn a hole into your eyeball and cause excrutiating pain and permanent blindness.

My understanding is that humans secrete about 2 micrograms of B12 per day, into the small intestine, via the bile, not 2 milligrams, as Tonya Zavasta states. 2 micrograms is 1/1000 of 2 milligrams. In light of the above, I don't think this is a trivial error. In regard to the amount of B12 stored in the liver and muscles - again, it is 2000 to 3000 micrograms, not milligrams. I haven't checked the other figures, but dietary B12 is generally measured in micrograms, and blood and tissue levels are sometimes measured in nanograms, or picograms, and I suspect the other figures mentioned in the article are supposed to be micrograms also, not milligrams.