The next full moon in July is on July 12. Moonrise is at 8:39PM. Sunset will be at 8:30PM. We should be able to see moon and the sun together. Something different for dinner this time. We had thai/crepes for #1, malaysian fusion for #2, so its vietnamese for moonlight hike #3.
After dinner, around 7-7:15 PM we start hiking up Mission Peak. If we make good time, we will be on top of Mission Peak at around 8:30. Spend 15 minutes on the top and start the descent at 8:45-9PM and arrive back at the cars at around 10:00PM. If you want to skip dinner and just do the hike, the address for the parking lot is 1880 Stanford Avenue, Fremont CA. I will bring my pair of astronomy binoculars.
If you are going to miss the dinner, be at the parking lot around 7:15PM. Please note that the parking lot closes at 10PM, so please park on the side streets outside of the lot. Also Mission Peak Curfew is at 10PM. We will always try to respect the curfew and the park rangers.
What do i need?
• Backpack and water: Preferably a hydrating one. I think 50 ounces should be sufficient.
• Flashlight, preferably an LED one or a head lamp. You might not need it but you might in case you need to find something in your pack.
• Camera (tripod optional). If you want to take some photos at the top, have a cell camera or bring your usual camera. Just remember you have to haul it up and down.
• Snacks. Even if you had dinner, you might burn up to 1,500 calories on this hike.
• Warm jacket and clothing. It can get windy up there.
Please note that Mission Peak is 3 miles each way, fairly steep incline with[masked] ft elevation gain. We will try to not take breaks on the way up so please expect a good work out. Last time, we got up to the peak between 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes. We will usually have 2 groups, a faster one and slightly slower one.
To reach James:[masked]
Safety Disclaimer: The organizers of this meet-up are unpaid volunteers and not expert hiking guides. All participants agree to assume 100% responsibility for their own safety, conduct, and well-being and recognize that possible hazards exist while participating in outdoor (or any other) activities, and agree to participate solely at their own risk. If you RSVP “Yes” and/or attend any of our events, it shall be conclusively presumed that you understand and agree to this policy.