Asian Groupting Message Board › Motorcycle lessons through state-certified...

Motorcycle lessons through state-certified...

A former member
Post #: 6
https://training.msf-...­

I have already paid my $250 to sign up for this. I chose the MSF's own at the Discovery Rider Training Center - Lot P in Long Beach. As of right this second (as I write this), there are 8 spots left for the time I am signed up (Saturday-Sunday 4/2-3, 8:30am-5:30pm each day with an hour break for lunch).

This isn't going to be a meetup event. Just throwing it out there if you always wanted to learn, but never found someone else to go with you. Well, I already paid. You have to pay $25 to cancel and once the class starts, you don't get refunds. So, be aware of that!

I am doing it through this program so that if I complete the program satisfactorily and pass their skills test, I can skip the driving test at the DMV.
John Philip Joel B...
user 13858166
Los Alamitos, CA
Post #: 10
I took the same class at the same place. It is well worth it. I got my motorcycle license about 7 months ago. Let me know when you are ready to ride. Good luck, you will have fun!
Pete
YOOphoria
Claremont, CA
Post #: 101
definitely the best way to learn to ride.
and well worth the money.

i took this course before i got my bike and license last year.

another option is through the Harley davidson dealers. their course is a little longer and a little more expensive. but you get a little more instruction and practice riding.
Danny
kafedis
Fontana, CA
Post #: 1
Agree taking the MSF class is the best way to go. I took it 5 years ago, and it taught me things a few things which saved me from crashing. Also you get a 10% discount off your motorcycle insurance.
A former member
Post #: 7
If it wasn't clear -- it's the BasicRider course, that I signed up for.

And since I'll forget tomorrow, happy early birthday, John Brion!
A former member
Post #: 297
Yeah! Another rider!!! I took my MSF in that same spot back two years ago... biggrin

Let me know if you need help buying a bike and more importantly, gear!

A former member
Post #: 8
Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting some pointers for gear... :-)
John Philip Joel B...
user 13858166
Los Alamitos, CA
Post #: 11
If it wasn't clear -- it's the BasicRider course, that I signed up for.

And since I'll forget tomorrow, happy early birthday, John Brion!

Thanks Curi for the Bday greeting!

I will also be glad to help you look for gear and a bike when you are ready. Just make sure your jacket has C.E. rated armor. Most jackets already has it but just make sure. Also knee/shin protection is recommended.

As for a bike the first thing you will need to determine is if you want a cruiser or sportbike. It is all preference and what you feel comfortable in. Your gear will be determined on which bike you get.

There are a couple of motorcycle meetup groups here that I am a part of and I would suggest you join them as well so you can join us on a ride one of these days.

Feel free to shoot me an email or contact me through FB and I will help you out.

John
A former member
Post #: 9
Easy. Sport, of course. :p The bike can wait a bit. I'm more interested in going to the track with my boss and friends who track their bikes. Then.... I'll buy the bike, later. Unless they come cheap in used condition. Hmm
A former member
Post #: 298
wow, going straight to the track? That is a w e s o m e.

Gear is your first priority then. If you're hitting the track, you may want to consider buying a full leather suit from AlpineStars. They run from $500+, but worth the money!

Helmets... shoei or Arai are usually top notch. Anyway, if you want to hit up a few local shops to try gear, happy to do that...

Cheap sport bikes... usually most beginners start off with a Kawasaki Ninja 250R or Suzuki SV650S, depending on your preference and height, but tracking a 250R is not too fun. Anyway, it all depends on your confidence level, budget, height, experience, etc etc etc...