Book Club - Asian Authors/Books about Asia Message Board › Book Club Plans for 2013
I have decided to give the book club a face lift and inject some energy into it to make more varied, active and fun. There are now more than a hundred active members and many have been with the club for four years so I thought it was time to provide more variety, expand the club and give some structure to the activities that has emerged over the last few year. The intention is motivate the current members to engage further and attract new and interesting members, while also improving the quality of each of the meet-ups.
The description of the book club has been updated; you can go to the meet-up site and click on About us to read the new description. I will also be posting some guidelines for members and hosts in the next few days.
The main additions/changes and plans for 2013 are:
1. The regular structured monthly book club meetings, on weekends, continue and remain the main stay of the book club. However casual participants to these meetings will be discouraged and we will have stricter rules about RSVPs, late arrivals and last minute cancellation, with the intention of introducing a little more formality to these meetings These meet-ups will continue to be hosted by different members in the club and the guidelines and tips for hosts will be posted on the meet-up site to give some uniformity to these meetings.
2. A new monthly meet-up is being introduced, called Coffee and Conversation. This will be on the first Tuesday of each month, in the evening. This meeting will be in a pub or restaurant, so Coffee does not literally mean coffee. There will be a nominated book for this evening as well, however the discussions on the book will be informal. People are free to drop by anytime they wish and casual participation is welcome.. The aim of these meet-ups are primarily social, however will also help people choose a book to read for that month and tell the rest of the group what they thought about the book.
3. In 2013, I intend to have a greater focus on inviting Authors, the goal is to have a meet the Author events every second month. This could be on a weekend or on a week day I will attempt to try and invite at least a few established and popular authors to come to the book club.
4. With three different types of book meet-ups. People will have the choice of up to three books to read each month, the expectation is that most members will find at least one of these of interest and so will be will be able to make it to one of the book meetings each month. This is also a means to spread the participation over a larger number of events so that each meet-up has a manageable number of around 15 people who are keen to attend that meet up.
5. The book club will continue to encourage members to post events that they feel will be of interest to members. I have categorized into two types, hosted and non-hosted events. Hosted events are events where the organiser takes the responsibility to co-ordinate and manage the meet-up and non-hosted events will be events that are posted purely for information and members plan to go to these, there will be no RSVPs and no person coordinating the second type of meet-up.
6. We will continue with the two annual trips to Hay and the Edinburgh festivals, the meet-up events for these have already been set-up and I will be posting details on these early next year. I also plan to organise other trips during the course of the year for places such a Bath and Briton, watch the space.
7. I plan to make the Anniversary celebrations a much bigger affair than last year. It will be our fifth anniversary. The tradition of the Christmas Party will continue and I may also add a summer picnic to the schedule.
8. All the meet-up dates for the Monthly book clubs meet-ups have now been set-up they hosted and organised by:
Jan – Vineet
Feb – Sunil
Mar – Anu
Apr - Chhuvi
May – Sundeep
Jun - Nash
Jul – Preeti
Aug – Joanna
Sep – Ria
Oct – Shiela
Nov – TBD
Dec – Nash
9. I have also started a reading list for the coffee and conversation meet-ups, please feel free to send me suggestions that should be included in the Reading list.
10. With all this information you can start planning the year ahead and look forward to a great 2013.