Atheist Community of San Jose Message Board › Wearing Atheist T-Shirts

Wearing Atheist T-Shirts

Dana N.
user 74089372
San Jose, CA
Post #: 7
I love wearing my atheist t-shirts out and about as many of you know. Whenever I go hiking or grocery shopping I wear the shirt with our Atheist Community of San Jose logo. I like that because the word Atheist is big and readable even from far away, and it's friendly with the houses and people. Hah, Scot!

The reason I mention it is I find people's reactions fascinating. It's interesting to see the looks on people's faces. For the most part, the shirt doesn't get reactions. People don't pay a lot of attention to marked t-shirts. But I have gotten big smiles; I've been told I'm brave for wearing it, and I've gotten thumbs up.

But one reaction in particular I found a little surprising. An elderly lady said, "You're not going to change anyone's minds with that." Huh? I said, "No, of course, not. That's not my intention." So she asked, then what is your intention? "To let other atheists know it's ok to be an atheist. And to let people know there is a community of us." She said, hmph, and walked away.

But I do think it's important that we share our view, not with the intent of changing the minds of the religious, but to let the other godless out there know it's ok, they don't have to believe, and there are more of us than they might realize.

My all time favorite reaction, though,was when I was wearing my "Good without God" t-shirt, and the clerk in the grocery store said, "Oh I can't be god without god. No I need god." I said, "Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that." She just looked at me funny.

Anyway. Enjoy the shirts. In CA you probably won't get shot, but you may get a few funny looks. I love it when I turn a corner, get a big smile from a stranger, then that turns into a scowl when they go from my face to shirt. Hah!
Lyn C
user 102089592
San Jose, CA
Post #: 6
I don't have an atheist shirt as of now, but I do have a FSM shirt. I like how it only gets the attention of others who know what it is. My husband has a pirate fish shirt which once again means very little to most theists.

I think it is brave to go with a shirt that has an obvious message that is seen so negatively by some people. Not sure if I want that attention (we already get stared down for being a biracial couple on occasion), though I'd be excited to see reactions if I was walking besides someone with that shirt. And our official ACSJ is pretty friendly and a great way to spread awareness of the group, for sure. I think it's great that you feel confident enough to represent the group on a regular basis.
Brian B.
BrianB
Group Organizer
Campbell, CA
Post #: 27
Its funny, as I go through my closet and try to decide what atheist shirt is most appropriate for an event, I am reminded about my fanatical Christian days. I had tons of clever Christian tees that I wore everywhere with pride, it seems that I have flipped sides and couldn't be happier. However, I want to make sure that I am not as dogmatic with this as I was with the Christianity. It is not so much about the lack of belief as it is excitement about the ACSJ!