addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Atheist Community of San Jose Message Board › Prayer in Sports

Prayer in Sports

Steve C.
user 68443172
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
Because we all know praying leads to winning, here's a good short op-ed in today's paper. Ostler asserts that it's time to separate church and sport.

http://www.sfgate.com...­
Invisible Pink U.
user 39389902
Morgan Hill, CA
Post #: 85
Because we all know praying leads to winning, here's a good short op-ed in today's paper. Ostler asserts that it's time to separate church and sport.

http://www.sfgate.com...­
It makes you wonder if anyone of them ever pray for a win. And if they do, do they ever think what happens if someone on the other side also prays for a win?

Another one that intrigues me is players pointing to the sky. If they're pointing to a god, why not point in all directions, as they would say god is everywhere? And if they're pointing to a deceased loved one, why point to the sky? Why not point in the direction of the person's grave site?
Werner H.
user 80123122
San Jose, CA
Post #: 2
I'd say pointing to the sky is just symbolic and there's no benefit to arguing that.

But as a High School wrestling coach, a few years ago some of the captains got in the habit of gathering up the whole team to pray before going out on the mat at formal events. That made me very uncomfortable and if I had been head coach I might have stopped it. No one complained, but I could certainly see how some kids might feel alienated if they didn't participate, because they weren't Christian or religious. Fortunately that practice just fizzled when the captains graduated. Now that I'm a part of a group like ACSJ I feel more empowered to step up and say something if it should happen again.