You can organize this Meetup!

This Meetup no longer has an Organizer.
Without an Organizer, it will disappear from our website in 13 day(s).

You can join this Meetup and become the Organizer.

Atheists and Agnostics of Richmond Message Board Random Discussions › How divisive is religion in your life?

How divisive is religion in your life?

A former member
Post #: 3
I am the only open atheist in my family. My wife was brainwashed into religion as a young child and I fear that it will one day destroy our marriage. Her blind faith means that I can never question a single verse in the bible or she breaks down in tears. She has lied to her entire family and I am never to talk about my rational thoughts.

How was religion in your family affected your life?
A former member
Post #: 85
I was your wife. I grew up in the same kind of environment - luckily I finally figured out it is all a bunch of hogwash. However, because most of my family and friends are still drinking the kool-aid, I remain in the closet for fear of being shut out of their lives. They are basically good people, and my relationship with them is more important than speaking out. I hate it though, that I can't speak my mind about something that brought me so much freedom, happiness and relief.
Roberta Q.
kayak.chick
Richmond, VA
Post #: 51
When I announced that I was divorcing my abusive husband (physically, sexually and emotionally), my only living relatives (aside from my children) told me that I was sinning and that I needed to stay in that abusive marriage. When I didn't, they shunned me. To this day. And when I left that church (because they said that I should just submit to my husband's wishes and then it wouldn't be forced), I lost all my friends. So, religion poisons family and friends.