addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Atlanta Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › "Unpacking Atheism" at a church near you

"Unpacking Atheism" at a church near you

Ale & A.
afabbri
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 58
The evening of Sun, Oct. 14, three apologists are going to give a 2-hour session on atheism, called "Unpacking Atheism". It's going to be broadcast to several churches around the US.

The apologists are: Lee Strobel, Mark Mittelberg, William Lane Craig.

Here's a link to a clip by a YouTube atheist going by the name brettppalmer, who found out about the event: YouTube Clip
In the video description, the following 3 churches are listed for Georgia:

• Fifth Avenue Baptist Church in Rome, GA 30165
  • Johnson Ferry Baptist in Marietta, GA 30068
  • Ivy Creek in Lawrenceville, GA 30043

Here's an excerpt from a clip featuring 2 of the 3 apologists, which was included in the clip above: "atheism realy is on the rise in our culture especially among young people.. did you know that about 1 in 4 americans under the age of 30 would describe themselves as either agnostic, atheist, or having no particular faith at all.. with this rise of the influence of skepticism, we must address this, and that's why Lee and I are so passionate to invite you and your church to participate in our upcoming simulcast called unpacking atheism.. we'll be joined by Dr. William Lane Craig who is perhaps the greatest defender of christianity in the world, along with a panel of former atheists who will describe why they decided to become followers of Jesus Christ".

Brettppalmer calls for atheists to attend, to "find out what these people are saying about us, and what they're telling others about how to deal with atheists" .. "no reason to be confrontational, let's just flood these churches with real atheists, instead of strawman apologists like Lee Strobel or William Lane Craig invent".

Might be fun!
Danny
dbarrs
Roswell, GA
Post #: 71
Thanks, guys. Haven't sen you for a while. Nice to know you are there in spirit!
bobbler
bobbler
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 30
"3-former atheists" they said.. I'll believe in former atheists when someone shows me a grown-up who believes in Santa Claus again.. So I can't help but suspect this whole setup is disingenuous. The best I can say is it is possible they are sincere, since their understanding of what an atheist is is completely wrong.. My judgement call is that this is a setup, and a waste of time for us to participate. Unless we can speak to the audience? Still, I'm sick of trying to reason with brainwash victims (wasted energy)..
Bob G.
glassley
Woodstock, GA
Post #: 1
Thanks for the heads-up!

It is very encouraging to see them this concerned, as any perception of a "crisis of faith" on their part foretells progress on ours. Their focus on youth is both frightening and telling, and it too indicates progress in the struggle to stop the brainwashing of children. They truly understand the value of early indoctrination with myth as truth and will likely redouble efforts to get authoritative figures – parents, teachers, etc. – to take up the effort (spread the virus?). It is valuable to not only understand what they are saying (for that we could watch on youtube), but to see firsthand what the followers reactions are.

We need to keep finding ways to shine a little light of knowledge and reason into the dark recesses of the closed mind. Each awakened mind is of such great value to mankind, as it is no longer propelling us toward the next dark age, but into the light of reality.

Vicki and I are planning to attend at Johnson Ferry Baptist. If anyone else is planning on going, please let me know if you want to meet up beforehand or afterwards.

--Bob
Danny
dbarrs
Roswell, GA
Post #: 72
Well done , Bob. We leave for Europe on Saturday otherwise we would be there.
Claire G.
user 10701500
Lilburn, GA
Post #: 2
Does anyone know what time this starts?
Bob G.
glassley
Woodstock, GA
Post #: 2
It starts at 7:00 PM.

Hope you can mke it!