Atlanta INFP Message Board › vegetarian

vegetarian

Jonathan
user 4233370
Roswell, GA
Post #: 1
Hello INFP folks,

Just joined this group and noticed that many of the members are vegetarians.
I found this intriguing - to say the least.

Was somewhat curious as to why this so common amongst this group of INFP's.

Jonathan
Ellen
user 4343874
Lawrenceville, GA
Post #: 39
I noticed the same thing, Jonathan! Don't think it's just limited to this group. On an online INFP forum, 43 percent were vegetarian and another 8% were thinking about it:

http://personalitycaf...­

http://personalitycaf...­

To me it's almost surprising when an INFP/HSP type person isn't a vegetarian!
Jonathan
user 4233370
Roswell, GA
Post #: 2
interesting indeed - most of this INFP group and nearly half of a INFP forum group - vegetarian

General Americans - less than 5% vegetarian.

food for thought (sorry - couldn't resist)

Jonathan
evelyn jackson w.
user 11219489
Stone Mountain, GA
Post #: 2
Jonathon,

I am not a vegetarian. I think what vegetarians do is a good thing, but I don't intend to be one. I do try to eat more fish, but I still eat beef and chicken sometimes.

INFP's are some of the most gentlest people around. But I know some Infp men who are not vegetarians.
In my experience, infp's are against all cruelty to all living beings.

I am really an intp. Maybe you are an intp. Intp's are more analytical and more objective and less subjective about those things.

evelyn jackson w.
user 11219489
Stone Mountain, GA
Post #: 3
One more point, my brother once told me that N's tend to "lie" a bit unintentionally on meyers-briggs. I have tested as an infp and an entp even though I am an intp.

Also, you may very well be a low F or a low T. You may cross over from one to another. Or you are just slightly F which makes you less affected.

Anyway, that may explain why you aren't as affected by this issue.

My close friend is an infp and is always fully involved in an issue of injustice of some sort.

Anyway, you are not the only non-vegetarian in this group.
Jonathan
user 4233370
Roswell, GA
Evelyn,

I am not a vegetarian either - not by a long shot. In fact I eat a variety of meats and vegetables.
I don't have a strong view or problem with vegetarians or non vegetarians.

Personally, I am against cruelty to MOST living beings. Of course, this is a very complex subject as to what is defined as cruelty and to the varying degrees of cruelty, the order, higher or lower, of living beings.
Furthermore, how much "living being" death occurs from fruit and vegetable production, tilling, chemicals, etc, and on and on. TO what degree do various living beings experience and feel pain etc. is another very complex subject.

It is an area that is not a high priority for me. Now of course, I might very much be in the minority amongst INFP's. I have been in the minority of most groups for most of my life. It might be relevant that I was born and raised in the south. My father's side poor uneducated rural and my mother's side a "Higher class" of refinement, education, book smarts, but little common sense.

Have never tested INTP. Have tested INFP 4 times. Barely ISFP once. The INFP descriptions and writings of other INFP's is dead on for me. I completely relate to almost everything except some aspects of the vivid imagination. There are some limitations for me in that regard.

I do believe I have developed my logical, realistic, side a good bit. Have been a stock portfolio mgr and trader for over a decade.

We need to figure out how to enlarge this group so as to help insure it's success. Don't really know how this can be accomplished though.

Jonathan

Angie
user 6987377
Decatur, GA
Post #: 22
I don't think it has anything to do with being born and raised in the South. I was born and raised here, in a solidly lower middle class family who all still think I'm a freak for being vegan (except maybe my mom). It has to do with learning about the horrors of how our "food animals" are raised and killed, along with the atrocious effects the industry has on the environment, the food animal industry workers, the health and well-being of those who choose to eat animals, etc ... Even from a non-animal right/welfare standpoint, the way what we consider food animals are produced these days is a blight on our world in many, many ways.

I'm not being preachy--if it's not a priority to you, that's a valid statement. We are all different. But as to why a lot of INFPs are veggie, I think it's because most INFPs are super sensitive, with a remarkable ability to put ourselves in someone else's shoes, or hooves, if you will. I think it's a little too easy to imagine the life of a factory farmed animal for a lot of us, so we opt to remove ourselves from an inherently cruel system. I am also personally deeply disturbed at this idea that humans somehow get to randomly pick who does and doesn't get eaten, who is and who is not a "lower being." To me, Rush Limbaugh is a lower being, but I wouldn't inflict the life of a factory farm animal on him. I wouldn't eat him, either. Pigs are far more intelligent than dogs, usually rated as about as intelligent as the average 3 year old child, yet we don't eat dogs or children. And what happens if an alien race with better technology lands here on earth and decides we're a lower life form and that we'd make good eatin'? Or if another Nazi type regime took over and decided that all people from Georgia were "lower beings" and started experimenting and eating us? It's a little bit of a slippery slope for me. In the Serengeti or on Kodiak Island, unarmed and on foot, humans are the lower being on the food chain. Just saying. =)

I also have never tested as anything but an INFP. And I've only ever met two others in my entire life! So it'll be interesting to meet more, if I can ever make a meeting. My job has many last minute emergencies, so week nights are really difficult to schedule. I'm definitely hoping to make the next one, though.

Take care!

Jellocat
user 6058717
Atlanta, GA
Hello all. I'm new to this group and haven't been to a meeting yet, but I'm loving reading the message boards. I always thought I was the odd one out, but now I see there's a reason for it. Hahaha!

I'm not a vegetarian, but have been trying to move towards that direction. I'm a lot more conscientious about the types of meat I'll eat when I eat it. I'll buy only grass-fed beef in the grocery store and free-range chicken, etc., but I have been trying to cut out meats as much as I can.

It really started for me when I saw the movie "Food, Inc." I guess I had the blinders on up until that point, but after seeing the movie and how badly factory-raised animals were being treated I began to change my buying and eating habits. I think the public is beginning to wake up to this fact.

I've also met other vegetarians and raw food people and am learning from them how to eat. It has definitely meant re-thinking my eating habits and changing my lifestyle (because so much of what I seem to do socially involves food).

Hillary