Atlanta MongoDB User Group Message Board › The Weather Channel hiring a Sr. DBA (NoSQL and MongoDB a huge plus!)
|A former member||
Contact me if interested!!!
Sr. Talent Acquisition Consultant
The Weather Channel
The Sr. Database Administrator will be part of a DBA team that is responsible for The Weather Company’s (TWC's) various MySQL, SQL SERVER and Oracle databases and emerging NoSQL data stores. This covers the full lifecycle from discovery to design, installation, backing up, monitoring, tuning, troubleshooting, upgrading and retiring of databases. TWC’s MySQL databases are backend to the mission critical user/viewer facing digital products (weather.com and the TWC mobile products) and the SQL Server/Oracle databases provide persistence to a wide range of services that range in scope from third party applications to internally developed business applications. The ideal candidate must be comfortable across the spectrum of database throughput, size and visibility.
In addition to being part of the DBA team, the ideal candidate will also cross-train and provide secondary support for the primary DBA’s who support TWC's other databases. The ideal candidate should also be willing to learn and work on emerging non-RDBMS (“noSQL”) persistence technologies including different key/value stores and map/reduce clusters.
In addition to the necessary knowledge/experience the ideal candidate must possess and demonstrate outstanding diagnostic, analytical and critical thinking/problem solving skills. The ideal candidate should be able to operate with significant autonomy, able to fill in/implement details when given high-level assignments and also should be able to work within a fast paced dynamic team environment.
1. Support application owners as required for database dependent projects including requirements gathering, capacity planning, design, installation, database creation, milestone/checkpoint backups, etc.
2. Ensure maximum availability by development, implementation & testing of DBA best practices.
3. Ensure backups are regularly run & periodically test restores.
4. Ensure instances & related services are appropriately monitored & periodically test.
5. Diagnose, intervene, resolve & report on unplanned incidents.
6. Ensure license compliance and forecast budget requests for future needs.
7. Provide secondary support for above responsibilities on TWC's other RDBMS platforms.
1. Bachelor's/Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience in related field.
2. 7+ years experience supporting MySQL databases for a variety of applications (particularly for customer facing websites).
3. 5+ years experience with configuring and troubleshooting replication in high transaction volume environments.
4. 5+ years experience with working in Microsoft SQL Server.
5. Solid understanding of RDBMS concepts, internals and architecture.
6. Experience in backups & recovery procedures in both MySQL and SQL SERVER.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of troubleshooting and resolving performance issues in both MySQL and SQL SERVER.
8. Experience with MySQL cluster and SQL SERVER cluster/replication a PLUS.
9. Previous experience with Oracle and NoSQL (Hadoop, MongoDB, Riak, CouchDB and other NoSQL DB’s) technologies preferred.
10. Strong work ethics, good communication skills and ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team environment.