This meetup group is for any CLASSICAL music fans or musician in metro Atlanta who wants to make friends, find out about the most interesting concerts and events in Atlanta, and attend them.
We meet for
- Concerts featuring orchestral, choral, chamber, opera, ballet and recitals, from the largest concert halls to recital halls at colleges, to churches and coffee houses.
- Performances of other music varieties in music venues like the local bar - genres other than classical music too.
- Fine arts like classical dance performances and shows.
- JAM, play sing and perform together
Atlanta music groups or concert venues are welcome to send press releases announcing concerts to our Organizer or Co-Organizers. We will consider selecting your concert to be an event for our Meetup group.
Most of our events are suggested by our members. Any music fan can join our group, with no dues required. Any group member can "suggest" a group event by making their own post on our Meetup site or by sending a detailed request to the Organizer or Co-Organizers.
The overriding rule is that we will not promote an event as a meeting for our group unless a known member within our group volunteers to be the Host for that event. The Host is expected to perform several functions:
- Before the concert, contact members who indicate that they will attend the event, and suggest a place to meet before or after the concert to have dinner or drinks, and then meet with those people there. The Host can delegate other attending members to perform this function. (We are not able to meet for dinner or drinks around each concert event, but this is our goal.)
- Show up early at the concert, hang out in the lobby, and hold up a sign for the Atlanta Classical Music Meetup Group. Find and identify group members and greet them, and invite them to sit together if the concert does not have reserved seating. Continue to look for, greet and bring together group members during the intermission and at a reception after the concert, if possible.
We are grateful when any musical group contacts our Organizer and Co-Organizer about providing advance ticket purchase discounts to our members. Realize, however, that our group does not make group purchases of tickets; we do not collect money from our members in advance. Ideally you will need to provide a "discount code" that individual group members can use to purchase their own tickets; we will publish your discount codes to our members and let them buy their own tickets according to your rules.
Final decisions about selecting group events are made at the discretion of the Organizers of our group. At our discretion, we will remove events that others have posted as suggested events if we feel that our criteria are not met. In particular, we will not schedule an event unless one of our members volunteers to be the Host. If the Organizers take down and cancel your suggested event, they will try to provide you with a written explanation.
Thanks to all our members who suggest and host events for our group. Thanks to classical musical groups and organizations who contact us about promoting their concerts as group events. We look forward to fun, fellowship and to patronizing and supporting the wonderful classical music scene in Atlanta.