Atlanta Sustainable Community Message Board › NEW GA BILL: "Food Freedom"

NEW GA BILL: "Food Freedom"

Stems n Roots G.
user 8849835
Douglasville, GA
Post #: 55
"No county, municipality, consolidated government, or local government authority shall prohibit or require any permit for the growing or raising of food crops or chickens, rabbits, or milk goats in home gardens, coops, or pens on private residential property so long as such food crops or animals or the products thereof are used for human consumption by the occupant of such property and members of his or her household and not for commercial purposes."

DETAILS:
http://food.change.or...­
Joey G.
user 8911785
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 1
Do you have any more information on this bill? The link just takes me to the petition homepage. I am very interested to find out where the bill is currently in the state legislature.

Currently in Cobb County, a homeowner is not allowed to have a single chicken unless they own 2 acres of land. That rules out about 97% of Cobb residents.

Thanks!

Joey
Chloe
user 6876683
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 16
I posted this question about the Food Freedom bill on Stem n Root's facebook page also in case they are not monitoring this meetup page as often....BTW, you should have a look at the Stem n Root facebook home page...I would LOVE to have such nice raised beds!
Chloe
user 6876683
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 18
I received a reply from Stems n Roots website (the originator of this discussion posting). They said that they were not able to find any updates on the bill. This leads me to believe that the bill is either in committee or has been allowed to die a silent death in committee :-( I also did a pretty extensive google check and could not find any updates on the bill.