Atlanta Sustainable Community Message Board › 4/27 @9am LDS Canning Center trip to stock up on our long-term food supplies

4/27 @9am LDS Canning Center trip to stock up on our long-term food supplies. Get Prepared!!!

Robert C.
user 84818362
Marietta, GA
Hello All,

I am Robert Cox, a new member of the Meetup -Atlanta Sustainable Community group. I would like to organize a trip to the LDS cannery for those who want to stock up on some long-term food supplies without spending a bundle.

With recent reports that Cypress Banks are still in 'bank holiday' period while claiming to simply 'take' 7% of the money from depositors to make good on bad debts, many are saying that this the beginning of the Euro demiss and a ‘preview' of what will happen in the US. It may be a good idea to have some long-term food storage if you don't already have some in stock.

I will arrange a group appointment with Dave Ellefson at the Tucker Home Storage Center (just outside the perimeter near Stone Mountain). Dave said that all weekends in March are now booked (people are stocking up!). He is reserving 1 canning station for us. If I get back to him with 6 or more people, he will reserve 2 canning stations for us. The address is 4823 North Royal Atlanta Dr, Tucker, GA 30084 - They are located inside a Business/Industrial park. Dave said I can bring a 'small' group with me (up to 8-10 canners...and if you are bringing your other half - together you count as 1). This is not for children to attend as there will be canning machines and large heavy industrial equipment.

You'll have the following items (good for 30 years) to choose from:
Rice,

Wheat (berries or white flour),
Oats (rolled),
Nonfat Dry Milk (great stuff),
Dried carrots (awesome - we tried these in soup),
Dried onions (awesome - we tried these in soup and gravy),
Sugar,
Potato flakes (the only product with chemical preservatives and tastes very bland),
Spaghetti,
Macaroni
Beans (Pinto, Black, White)
Refried beans
Dried Apple slices

You can either come and buy a couple things to take home and test for yourself...or make your visit productive by figuring out exactly how much you are going to need by going to:
http://www.providentl...­
The following is a calculator for how much food you need for x amount of people for y amount of time. You can do your calculations ahead of time or plan to come back for a second visit:
http://lds.about.com/...­

It's FIRST COME FIRST SERVE so the first 8-10 people that respond to my email are included. Please only respond if you are sure that you will make the trip. If there are more responses than the available 8-10, we will arrange a second trip at a later date.
For those of you who do not know what all this is, LDS Canning and Food Storage is a Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) Church canning and long-term food supply warehouse. The Mormons are experts at food storage as their faith requires that they have at least 3 months of food in storage at all times. They have been mastering the art of food storage for decades and sell to the public good, quality food that lasts up to 30 years. Their food is cheap and easy to store in #10 cans. Statistics have shown that if at least one in four households stored food, we could feed ourselves during catastrophic emergencies.  The Mormon church members are also asked to fast 2 days per month and donate the $$ spent on food for those 2 days to the church. The church then buys food and stores it in these centers. This Tucker GA location is similar in size to a COSTCO on the inside and they store thousands of pounds of food for helping hungry Mormon and non-Mormon families throughout the country. After Katrina, this center delivered 10's of thousands of pounds of food to the New Orleans area.

Dave Ellefson informed me that about 50% of the folks who come to their center are not Mormon and are just storing for self-sustaining emergency preparedness. He said the number of people coming has increased exponentially since 2009. Centers like the one in Tucker are located throughout the country.

While I am not Mormon, I respect the way they think when it comes to long term food storage and preparing for disaster. They are the experts in this area!

I look forward to hearing from you!!! Robert
A former member
Post #: 1
Robert,
I would like to attend. Please let me know once the date is set.

Thanks.
LaRahna