Atlanta Fly Fishing and Camping Meetup Group Message Board › narrow loop vs. wide loop

narrow loop vs. wide loop

Justin
dryfly777
Augusta, GA
Post #: 11
Constant ACCELERATION!!!!
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 14
Constant ACCELERATION!!!!

That is one of the things that is required to keep the rod tip on a straight line path. What other things do we need to do if we see we are casting a wide loop?

Justin, if you give me three things i'll throw in a bead head nymh.
Justin
dryfly777
Augusta, GA
Post #: 13
Constant acceleration
no slack
rod tip must remain on a staright line path...
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 15
Constant acceleration
no slack

I've got to give you credit..... but not the fly... yet.

What can we do to tighten up a wide loop if we see ourselves casting one?

A. Drink more beer
B. Stop the rod tip higher- thus reducing the casting arc.
C. Firm up the wrist- take the 'over bending of the wrist out of the cast'
D. As Justin said, 'keep that rod tip on a straight line by making a smooth acceleration to a stop'

These are the things we can do or say to our selves when we see wide loops.
Justin
dryfly777
Augusta, GA
Post #: 16
Constant acceleration
no slack

A. Drink more beer
D. As Justin said, 'keep that rod tip on a straight line by making a smooth acceleration to a stop'

Ahhhhh.... I remember that...
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 18
Cons­tant acceleration
no slack

A. Drink more beer

Ahhhhh.... I remember that...

What fly do you need? The FLY-2k is on back order;-)
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 122
Here is a question-

We have discussed the tailing loop and what causes it (the concave tip of the rod path..)

and we have discussed how to correct it, but can you think of any reason to make a tailing loop in a cast?
Jamie
JamieS.
Smyrna, GA
Post #: 24
Because you don't like the fly you have tied on, so you cast with a tailing loop to put a wind knot in your leader, so that the next fish you hook busts it of???confused

I believe a presentation cast such as a tuck cast requires you to throw a tailing loop.tongue
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 123
Because you don't like the fly you have tied on, so you cast with a tailing loop to put a wind knot in your leader, so that the next fish you hook busts it of???confused

I believe a presentation cast such as a tuck cast requires you to throw a tailing loop.tongue

I like the get rid of the bad fly idea!

I'll describe the tuck cast and then wait a few days and see if anyone sees any hints in this paragraph on using the tailing loop as a purpose full cast.

The tuck cast is used in situations where we want the fly to land before the line and have a downward momentum as it enters the water. It can also be used to make a 'splash' with the fly. The splash can draw the carp/bass... out from under the low hanging trees like we were doing with the carp on the lake when you fought that one to the boat.
The tuck cast is performed by making a directly over hand cast (vertical), high over the water and when the rod is stopped (can even be pulled back an inch or so) the loop rolls off-over-and down and un rolls down (tucked under) in to the water fly first. This is a great cast to get a fly down deep quick before the current has time to mess with your line and create drag.

The tailing loop would have the top leg (fly leg) of the line dropping down below the bottom leg (rod leg) before the fly was delivered to the target.
Bob S.
user 7934874
Marietta, GA
Post #: 1
Great information and perfect timing. Yesterday I bought an 8-wt tip flex from Greg in preparation for a month long trip to Naples, FL in January. My first attempt at saltwater fly fishing, and my first rod bigger than a 5-wt. The rod cast fine behind the Orvis store, but it developed a tailing loop when I tried it at home. OK, OK - we all know it wasn't the rod that developed a tailing loop. Yup, it was me, the rod knows how to cast just fine. A tailing loop has been one of my on-going casting problems. I'll be working on it using your recommendations.

Thanks Rene and guys!

Bob