Atlanta Fly Fishing and Camping Meetup Group Message Board › narrow loop vs. wide loop

narrow loop vs. wide loop

Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 124
Great information and perfect timing. Yesterday I bought an 8-wt tip flex from Greg in preparation for a month long trip to Naples, FL in January. My first attempt at saltwater fly fishing, and my first rod bigger than a 5-wt. The rod cast fine behind the Orvis store, but it developed a tailing loop when I tried it at home. OK, OK - we all know it wasn't the rod that developed a tailing loop. Yup, it was me, the rod knows how to cast just fine. A tailing loop has been one of my on-going casting problems. I'll be working on it using your recommendations.

Thanks Rene and guys!

Bob

I'm jealous Bob- new rod, trip to Fl.....nice.
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 125
Here is the answer to the question of why or where would we 'want to ' cast a tailing loop.

I was reading part of a study group hosted by Gordy Hill (MCCI BOG) and the 'Malone cast' was spoke of.

This is using a tailing loop to send the fly 'under ' trees...

I ALMOST DROPPED MY COFFEE WHEN I READ IT! THIS IS GREAT!

Here is the method. Tilt your rod to the side about 45 degrees and make a strong back cast so the rod is loaded well,

on your forward cast (still tilted to the side) over power the rod and create a tailing loop as you send the loop forward,

draw the rod back (shorten the rod stroke) so the loop is not traveling forward as fast. Watch the loop so it is not going in to the trees,

and pull back on the rod if it is too close.

Mean while, the fly leg of the loop is now traveling under the rod leg of the loop.

The momentum of the fly (best done with heavy flys) will take the leader under the loop and under the trees.

This take practice---but it is sooo cool. Visualize the cast before you do it.

When I learned this a few weeks back I grabbed my Micro practice fly rod, went down the hall in my office and started casting under chairs, desks...

So now if you see me cast a tail........I'm really just working on my Malone cast.

Tailing loops,
Rene

ps I've got to go back and check the spelling on the Malone/Maloney