Atlanta Fly Fishing and Camping Meetup Group Message Board › Leaders and the 'RULES"

Leaders and the 'RULES"

Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 105
Rene,
OK, I made up a few leaders like you mention above with a 12# tippet and I must say
they laid out real nice. The problem I have now is that I've been broken off at the point
of hook-up 3 times on two different outings. Probably a very large Striper, what should I do?
Go to 20#? Shock tippet?

Good question.
Lets look at the possibilities.
Yes going to a heavier tippet may be the sulution if it is breaking at that point in the leader.

Other things we can look at will be the quality and freshness of the tippet (if thats where it is breaking.

What type knot are you using to connect the material and the hook?

If you have one of the broken leaders we can examine it together and try to figure this out.

If the break is at the hook; was the end of the tippet ''pig tailed"? If so it was the knot.
If it was frayed, then it was casused by abraision (something big got you in the rocks)
If it is a clean break at the tippet then my guess is the line material was stale or those are some huge
stripper that you need to show me how to catch, or both.

Another thing to concider is the drag system on the outfit, and the hook set.
Are the lines breaking at the strike. That would be casued most often by getting the slack out of the line really fast and the fish hitting hard - thats a difficult one to overcome. More of a 'trout set' would help.

If the break is durring the fight refer to paragraph on what the end of the tippet looks like.

And last; when a fish gets close to you and your ready to bring him in. There is very little stretch left in the line system (less line out) so the rod is your shock absorber along with your drag.
When bass fishing or bone fishing I will back off my drag when the fish gets in close so that the line can go out easier if there is a run.

Note on drags:

A drag that is set will behave differently with a full spool (harder to turn (spin/release line)
compaired to a reel with a lot of line out and a smaller diamiter of line on the arbor.
Think of it this way; A slanted board- put a basket ball on it and let it roll down now take a marble and roll it down the slanted board. The basket ball takes longer and is slower to turn over than the marble.
The point is that when you have brought the fish in and now the reel is full,,,the drag will behave different than when he was out a distance and running. My rule of thumb on fly reels, spinning and baitcasters is
to back off the drag 1 turn when the fish gets in close. Check your specific reel for the correct amount.

Feed back?
m-torrente
user 7483489
Marietta, GA
Post #: 10
Well the break is at the hook up or a second later. One time in particular I got hit while stripping and he was gone. The last break occurred just after I hooked him and he thrashed at top water and was gone and took the whole tippet and half my leader with him. These breaks are between line sections. I use a blood knot to attach sections and improved fishermans to tie on my fly. I don't believe that is the issue, I think I need to tie some new leader material together rather than using line that is years old. Furthermore, each time I had a good amount of line in the water and I think I need to just let these fish run off after a hook set. This is the critical moment when fishing big game (everyone stresses it) and I'm finding it more important when fishing heavy freshwater to hone the reflex to a split second hook set and a easy release of the line through the fingers in order to protect the leader. I'm gonna go with a 30# butt and move it into a 20# tippit when fishing stripers. That is not to say that there are not huge trout that will do the same I've heard stories about some very large trout under the bridges where they used to feast on stocked fingerlings (when stocking was prevalent). Its just too hard to get these monsters onto the reel without a 12-15# snapping. Thanks for the advice and I hope this helps others. I'd be happy to meet with you Rene, lets wet a line sometime!! I'm open every evening of the week just let me know when you want to meet. Thanks a lot!!
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 106
Well the break is at the hook up or a second later. One time in particular I got hit while stripping and he was gone. The last break occurred just after I hooked him and he thrashed at top water and was gone and took the whole tippet and half my leader with him. These breaks are between line sections. I use a blood knot to attach sections and improved fishermans to tie on my fly. I don't believe that is the issue, I think I need to tie some new leader material together rather than using line that is years old. Furthermore, each time I had a good amount of line in the water and I think I need to just let these fish run off after a hook set. This is the critical moment when fishing big game (everyone stresses it) and I'm finding it more important when fishing heavy freshwater to hone the reflex to a split second hook set and a easy release of the line through the fingers in order to protect the leader. I'm gonna go with a 30# butt and move it into a 20# tippit when fishing stripers. That is not to say that there are not huge trout that will do the same I've heard stories about some very large trout under the bridges where they used to feast on stocked fingerlings (when stocking was prevalent). Its just too hard to get these monsters onto the reel without a 12-15# snapping. Thanks for the advice and I hope this helps others. I'd be happy to meet with you Rene, lets wet a line sometime!! I'm open every evening of the week just let me know when you want to meet. Thanks a lot!!

I think you have a good plan. Replacing the mono and nylon line every year is the best bet.

A lot of times people will leave the line in the car, and with this kind of heat the life of the line can go to half.

The knots your tying are great and the evaluation of your hook set and fight are good as well.

I'd like to hear your reports so keep them comming and yes I do look forward to wetting a line with you.
Is paces the best place for you? If so lets look at Tuesday eve. I get off at @5:30. Maybe we can make it a meet up event 8/4.
m-torrente
user 7483489
Marietta, GA
Post #: 11
I'm sorry Rene I didn't even check the board till now. I got about a 10# Striper tonight at Cochran Shoals it was GREAT!
The good news is I had enough backing-he ran to within about 20yds of spooling me- the bad news is no camera cause I left in a hurry.
It wasn't the World Record anyway-felt like it for a minute. O well maybe I'll get a shot to post next time.
The leader with 20# tippet was the charm!! Swift hook set and eased the line onto the reel and he was haulin' downstream-Awesome!
There was a crowd on the bank watching the whole fight as my Orvis was screaming. I actually though I was going to have to swim after him.
I propose we meet up there around 6:30. I think I know where they are holding since I've been broken off 3 times and finally got a success.
Look for a 1984 Brown F150 on the populated West side parked closest to the bridge.
Anyone else interested come on out!
Michael
(404)433-0007
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 108
Sounds like a plan.
I'll call you early and get the location.
Tommy said he would be there too, but we need directions.

I'll be in a sandstone 2004 avalanche Z71 with a FFF sticker on the back
m-torrente
user 7483489
Marietta, GA
Post #: 13
I'm still drying out my phone could be serious. It is the Sope Creek NRA off Powers Ferry (Cochran Shoals)
Interstate North Pkwy.-you know.
Justin
dryfly777
Augusta, GA
Post #: 87
Alright Rene... I always refer to this post!!1

I am tired of buying leaders... I just want to make my own.. I found this website.. what do you think?

http://www.flyfishusa...­
Rene J. H.
user 5695310
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 119
FANTASTIC!

There are literally hundreds of formulas out there,
and even the super elite, (Rajeff...) don't agree on one formula for one specific job- (ie. competition distance casting...).

Start with the Fly then the fish and the conditions with the equipment
your using and build from there.

That is a great source and reference.
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi guys. I'm not catching 20# stripers or anything, but for the last few years I've been very pleased with Orvis' braided leaders. I can use one leader for almost the whole year unless it gets roughed up somehow and frays. They turn over nicely, although they only come in a few lengths and weights(recommended by Orvis for specific rod wts. but they work well with anything close to the recommended line wt.)

congrats on the striper! Sounds like a blast!

owl
A former member
Post #: 2
Ok - I don't do discussion groups, so I might have the mechanics of this all wrong. If so, I apologize in advance.

BACKGROUND:
I'm lake fishing last Saturday. I get tangled in a tree (the sun was in my eyes). Rather than spend the next two days trying to retrieve the bird's nest I made, I decided to cut my losses (literally). What I ended up with was about five feet of a Rio 5x tapered leader left on my fly line. It looked pretty "thick" by comparison to what I started the day with, so I decided to tie some tippet on the end of it and soldier on.

QUESTION:
Assuming your classic 9' tapered leader, when I add the leader to my fly line, am I supposed to add tippet to the business end, or is the first "X" feet considered tippet straight out of the packet?

Enquiring minds want to know.