Have you spawned?
Do you hail from the land of Dragon*Con?
Do ANY of the following phrases have
meaning or resonate in your heart?:
Han shot first;
Captain, we are being hailed;
Cylons and Daleks and goram reavers;
In brightest day, in blackest night;
Kneel before Zod!;
all your base are belong to us;
Android, Apple, ubuntu (or any *nix);
Why so serious?
Excelsior True Believers!
Then you're one of us!
Join your comrades in this Guild of Calamitous Intent to socialize || geek out
We like to share, discuss and enjoy all things geeky! Who says we have no social skills?... :-)
For all the places we live on the internet (Facebook, Goodreads, etc) visit www.metroatlantageeks.com.
Important Notes regarding membership dues and events:
Events note: We have several organizers across Atlanta and each is allowed to set up their own meeting criteria (such as ages, singles only, no children, etc.) Certain meetups such as those at restaurants, bars, attractions, ticketed events, etc. may have a minimum age requirement as well. If uncertain, please confirm before attending an event.
Hi Geek Friends,
Metro Atlanta Geeks has started charging $5.00/year to cover costs of running this Meetup and to allow us more operating funds to accomplish more things in the coming year, as a group.
The way this is "supposed to work" is that every one new and all existing members get to try the group out for 14 days for free.
We will be allowing people to earn "free" memberships if they are on the leadership team OR host 2 or more successful meetups that have 4 or more people. (Contact me directly if you are interested in learning more.)
We are charging dues so we can:
. Cover Meetup costs
. Encourage more engaged members
. Provide supplies or equipment
. Improve Meetups
You can pay online at the site. Once you sign up for dues, you will be automatically billed each year. You will always be reminded before each charge, and you can cancel your dues at any time.
Membership Dues F.A.Q.
1. What if I purchased a Metro Atlanta Geeks badge at or before Dragon Con last year? Your dues for 2016 will be covered, as promised. If for some reason, you haven’t yet been marked as exempt for dues on here, please reply, message or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can take care of that for you. It will be useful if you provide your meetup.com Metro Atlanta Geeks profile link url since there are many people who share only their first name.
2. Will members of the Facebook group be expected or required to join Meetup and pay dues? No
3. Will members of the Metro Atlanta Geeks Book club be expected or required to join Meetup and pay dues? No. Events will still be listed on the Goodreads.com site and FB, in addition to Meetup.
4. Will all events for the group be listed both on FB and Meetup? No. There will be meetup exclusive events that are not listed in FB. We already have several standing events that are only on meetup currently and not here. All contests for free movie/event passes and such will likely be run via meetup since it has built-in controls for limiting RSVPs and allowing waiting lists and such.
5. What will happen once my trial membership expires? Meetup.com will automatically remove you from the group.
6. Doesn't someone stand to make a lot of money by charging these dues? No. In reality although we have over 2900 members here, we only have about 200 active members so at *best* case we might raise $1000. Our fundraising efforts in 2016 essentially allowed us to maintain the Meetup group page and pay other group expenses, create badges and give away some nice prizes, but left us with no money to do other things we were hoping to. We want to create t-shirts and other types of promotional items for the group, as well as have some exclusive events, but need a financial basis to begin doing so. After a year of charging dues, we will re-assess and possibly stop charging dues.
7. Can I pay dues by means other than the meetup website? Yes. In person to me by cash, check or paypal to email@example.com or via mail to Johnny League, 105 Ridgewood Drive, Fayetteville, GA 30215
8. What is the real value of Metro Atlanta Geeks? In essence, we provide you with the springboard and potential for making life-long in-person friendships and connections with people who share your same geeky interests. When I founded this group nearly 4 years ago, this is exactly what I had in mind and have experienced personally, along with hundreds of others who might have never met outside a group such as ours.
If there are still questions, please message me here or on Facebook or reply/email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll do my best to answer.
Thanks for your understanding and continued support!
Metro Atlanta Geeks
"We Meet Up and Geek Out!"
4,305 Creative-minded people
1,465 Boardgame players
6,389 Fun Friends!
433 Scientific Advisors