April 25, 2013
No answer yet
Love me some Benedict Cumberbatch!!
Have you spawned?
Do you hail from the land of Dragon*Con?
Do ANY of the following phrases have
meaning or resonate in your heart?:
Han shot first;
Captain, we are being hailed;
Cylons and Daleks and goram reavers;
In brightest day, in blackest night;
Kneel before Zod!;
all your base are belong to us;
Android, Apple, ubuntu (or any *nix);
Why so serious?
Excelsior True Believers!
Then you're one of us!
Join your comrades in this Guild of Calamitous Intent to socialize || geek out
Still not sure?... (see definition below from Wikipedia)
We like to share, discuss and enjoy all things geeky! Who says we have no social skills?... :-)
excerpted From Wikipedia:
- A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad but because many of these interests have mainstream endorsement and acceptance, the inclusion of some genres as "geeky" is heavily debated. Persons have been labeled as or chosen to identify as physics geeks,mathematics geeks, engineering geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks, various science geeks, movie and film geeks (cinephile), comic book geeks, theater geeks, history geeks, music geeks, sport geeks, art geeks, philosophy geeks, literature geeks, historical reenactment geeks, video game geeks, and roleplay geeks.
- A person who relates academic subjects to the real world outside of academic studies; for example, using multivariate calculus to determine how they should correctly optimize the dimensions of a pan to bake a cake.
- A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who passionately pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance.
Important Notes regarding membership dues and events:
Events note: We have several organizers across Atlanta and each is allowed to set up their own meeting criteria (such as ages, singles only, no children, etc.) Certain meetups such as those at restaurants, bars, attractions, ticketed events, etc. may have a minimum age requirement as well. If uncertain, please confirm before attending an event.
March 28, 2015
Hi Geek Friends,
Metro Atlanta Geeks has started charging $10.00/year to cover costs of running this Meetup and to allow us more operating funds to accomplish more things in the coming year, as a group.
The way this is "supposed to work" is that every one new and all existing members get to try the group out for 90 days for free. Then after the 90 days, in order to RSVP for events, the $10 in annual dues would need to be paid.
We will be allowing people to earn "free" memberships if they are on the leadership team OR host 3 or more successful meetups that have 4 or more people. (Contact me directly if you are interested in learning more.)
We are charging dues so we can:
. Cover Meetup costs
. Encourage more engaged members
. Provide supplies or equipment
. Improve Meetups
You can pay online at the site. Once you sign up for dues, you will be automatically billed each year. You will always be reminded before each charge, and you can cancel your dues at any time.
Membership Dues F.A.Q.
1. What if I purchased a badge at or before Dragon Con last year? Your dues for 2015 will be covered, as promised. If for some reason, you haven’t yet been marked as exempt for dues on here, please reply, message or email me at email@example.com so I can take care of that for you. It will be useful if you provide your
Metro Atlanta Geeks profile link url since there are many people who share only their first name.
2. If I am newly paying dues, can I obtain a badge? Yes. We have a limited number of badges available. Email or message me your postal mailing address and I will get one out to you, while they last. In addition, based on the demand, we may do a re-order of badges/ribbons.
3. Will members of the Facebook group be expected or required to join Meetup and pay dues? No
4. Will members of the Metro Atlanta Geeks Book club be expected or required to join Meetup and pay dues? No. Events will still be listed on the
site and FB, in addition to Meetup.
5. Will all events for the group be listed both on FB and Meetup? No. There will be meetup exclusive events that are not listed in FB. We already have several standing events that are only on meetup currently and not here. All contests for free movie/event passes and such will likely be run via meetup since it has built-in controls for limiting RSVPs and allowing waiting lists and such.
6. What will happen once my trial membership expires? You will still be a Meetup member but will not have RSVP privileges until your annual dues are paid.
7. Doesn't someone stand to make a lot of money by charging these dues? No. In reality although we have over 1700 members here, we only have about 300 active members so at best case we might raise $3000. Our fundraising efforts in 2014 essentially allowed us to create badges and give away some nice prizes but left us with no money to do other things we were hoping to. We want to purchase banners (for parades and convention tables), update our website, create t-shirts and other types of promotional items for the group, as well as have some exclusive events, but need a financial basis to begin doing so. After a year of charging dues, we will re-assess and possibly stop charging dues.
8. Can I pay dues by means other than the meetup website? Yes. In person to me by cash, check or paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to Johnny League, 105 Ridgewood Drive, Fayetteville, GA 30215
9. What is the real value of Metro Atlanta Geeks? In essence, we provide you with the springboard and potential for making life-long in-person friendships and connections with people who share your same geeky interests. When I founded this group nearly 4 years ago, this is exactly what I had in mind and have experienced personally, along with hundreds of others who might have never met outside a group such as ours.
If there are still questions, please message me here or on Facebook or reply/email me at email@example.com and I’ll do my best to answer.
Thanks for your understanding and continued support!
Metro Atlanta Geeks
"We Meet Up and Geek Out!"