- This event is sponsored by the Atlanta European Science Café and is hosted by the German Consulate General in Atlanta and the Goethe-Zentrum Atlanta.
- It is free and open to the public and RSVPs are not required to attend.
- Seating will be on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Doors open at 5:30 pm.
- Light refreshments will be served.
- Complimentary 4-hour parking in the Colony Square Parking deck is offered after 5 pm with your validated parking ticket.
Mathematics and Music - An Atlanta European Science Café
Hosted by the German Consulate General in Atlanta and the Goethe-Zentrum Atlanta.
Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
Professor of Mathematics
University of South Carolina Upstate
In this talk Professor of Mathematics Dirk Schlingmann will discuss the relationships between mathematics and music. He will explain in layman’s terms how mathematics can be helpful in understanding musical tone systems, analyzing sound and creating music.
Dean Dirk Schlingmann (credit: USC Upstate)
About our speaker
Dirk Schlingmann has served as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of South Carolina Upstate since July 2010. Before coming to USC Upstate, he served as the Chair of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Eastern Kentucky University and as the Chair of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Bethany College, Bethany, West Virginia.
Dr. Schlingmann earned his PhD in mathematics from the Free University of Berlin, Germany, his masters degree in mathematics from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and his German Diplom degree in mathematics from the University of Bonn, Germany. He enjoys playing all kinds of music.
The Atlanta European Science Café is sponsored by
• British Consulate General in Atlanta
• Consulate General of France in Atlanta
• Alliance Française d'Atlanta
• Goethe-Zentrum Atlanta
• German Consulate General Atlanta
• Consulate General of Switzerland in Atlanta
• Consulate General of Ireland Atlanta
• Consulate General of Belgium in Atlanta
and organized with the assistance of the Atlanta Science Tavern.