The Atlanta Science Tavern Message Board The Atlanta Science Tavern Discussion Forum › Thank you for TWO YEARS and counting for the Atlanta Science Tavern!!!

Thank you for TWO YEARS and counting for the Atlanta Science Tavern!!!

This message board is read-only.

Josh G.
user 7498547
Atlanta, GA
Hello Atlanta Science Tavern members!

If you've been a regular attendee to Atlanta Science Tavern (AST) meetups, you know that AST has become one of Atlanta's most popular meetups over the past two years. That's right. It's been two years since AST got started, and of the nearly 1,600 meetups in Atlanta, AST is now in the "top 40" in terms of membership. Haven't attended yet? Check out the upcoming calendar of events at http://www.meetup.com...­ and RSVP!

Remember also that you can listen to recorded AST talks by subscribing to the podcast feed at iTunes here: http://itunes.apple.c...­.

The success and popularity of this group is due to you, our dedicated audience, our exceptional guest speakers, the accommodating staff at Manuel's Tavern, particularly Rebecca and Arthur who usually serve the group, and the core of volunteers and organizers who make the events happen each month.

If you're either new to the group or aren't yet well-acquainted with it, I wanted to just take a moment to express appreciation to all of you who have been involved and attend regularly! The interest in this group spreads by word-of-mouth as much as it does by people stumbling upon it through Meetup.com, so a big thank you goes out to all of you!!

--- Some Special Thank Yous ---

At this time, I also want to thank a few people specifically and highlight their contributions over the past two years and counting.

Some have made contributions in the past, and others continue to do so through today. All have been valuable and we look forward to the coming months and years of AST and continued contributions from people.

First, to all of our guest speakers: Thank you!! Many of you have actually been the impetus and contact to other speakers to join us. Please keep spreading the word. The public craves science knowledge from people like you who are willing to share it with us at a level that makes it understandable and humanized.

Next, to our organizers and volunteers: Thank you!! AST is organized by an awesome team.

Carol Potter co-founded this group with me and is the primary organizing force behind this group, recruiting, coordinating, and scheduling the majority of our speaker line-up, many of our social events, science-related outings, and parties.

Mark Ditsler, owner of our sponsoring company Abrupt Media, provides all of our audio/visual services and produces the AST podcast mentioned earlier.

LaVerne Knight-West works in conjunction with Mark and also does much to promote the group, welcome members, and recruit guest speakers.

Marc Merlin recruits many guest speakers and new members to our group, organizes and participates in related events, and also promotes science understanding through his own blog.

Mike Chartier has guest spoken, helps organize our main events, and also organizes and hosts other related events.

Jaime Young helps organize our events and other related AST outings and supports the group by interesting new members in it.

Muzna Mirza has been a consistent supporter of the group and organized related outings for members.

Sidney Perkowitz, in addition to guest speaking, authored helpful guidance for other speakers which appears under the "For Presenters" link on http://www.atlantasci...­.

Andy Haber has been a consistent supporter of the group and has helped organize events.

That leaves me. I've tried to do as best I can to nudge the initial idea forward, sometimes behind the scenes, sometimes in front, and to help organize, coordinate and promote the group to new people through the tavern events and in my home.

Ultimately, it is the enthusiasm and cooperation of everyone that makes this group a success.

When Carol and I started this group two years ago, I don't think we could have imagined how many new friends and ideas we'd come across or how popular and large this group would become. That is a testament to the "pent-up" interest that so many people have for science news and views that are credible, trusted, and locally accessible -- and their desire to dine and converse with others who share their passion for knowledge.

---- What's to Come ---

As AST has grown in membership, we've heard from you about additional ways to enable our members to get involved in new ways. We've discussed this and a number that we've thought of, and I'll send a separate email about some of those ideas. But, I encourage you to continue sharing any other thoughts and ideas you have as well.

Thank you for two years and counting!!

Take care,
Josh